Parum Mortis

𝕰verything went cold and still

"Okay, that's enough," Zeenia's voice was colder than I would have thought she was capable of. I closed my eyes and contained my rage into a neat little box at the center of my chest."I can not believe that you would be petty enough to come up with this story and that too on my brother's reception!"

"I'm not lying-"

"As if leaving him wasn't enough," Seher said nothing, her face completely blank."As if tearing our family apart wasn't enough."

Zeenia tilted her head to the side a snarky inch.

Seher narrowed her eyes.

Zeenia pursed her lips.

"You have to let me-"

"No no, let me finish," Zeenia finished into the ringing silence."Let my brothers be in peace Seher. Both of them, the living and the dead. I don't want to hear another word out from you in the meanwhile. If I see you near my brother or his wife for the remainder of this function, I will personally make it my mission to see you hang from your tiptoes."

Seher flinched back violently, almost as if she was visualizing the image.

"I won't say anything," the sentence came out detached like her voice was no longer contained in her body. "For now."

Unease flooded through me, and Seher took a step back, a pleasant smile affixed on her lovely face like she needed to regroup and evaluate what angle this attack was coming from.

Hell hath no fury like a sister scorned, Zeenia turned to us, her eyes blazing with hatred.

"And you two, if I see you anywhere near her," venom coated each word."It won't be pretty."

Taimoor stared at his sister as if she'd lost her mind. I just stared at the crowd and adjusted my paloo, fiddling with the fabric.

"And Taimoor? Go meet your father-in-law before people decide that there's something amiss."

Oh no.

Now I was sure she'd gone mad.

"Uh-" Zeenia whirled to me and I clamped my mouth shut.

Taimoor took all of this in with a nod.

"Is that necessary?"

Zeenia folded her arms over her chest and regarded her brother with a level stare. "We're family now. There's no need to air our fights out in public."

He blinked slowly, considering it.

"I-"

"Go."

He turned to look at me, his eyes darkening. It was a tiny tell, he was used to hiding his real emotions in front of the crowd, but I saw it nonetheless. I took a deep breath, but my hands shook hard.