Magicae

𝕽age, shock, and disbelief etched and carved themselves on the remaining fragments of the Mughal family

𝕽age, shock, and disbelief etched and carved themselves on the remaining fragments of the Mughal family. All the air went out of the library, making it a vacuum, and for the second time this morning, everyone was turned into stone. They became a garden of statues gathered in a semicircle around the room. Baba skulked in the shadows watching us because as soon as Haider Mughal slammed the door shut behind him, he straightened, every cell in him seemed to be inflated with his innocence as he came to his feet and walked toward me. Pushing forward, he clasped his hand around my arm and I nearly buckled under his weight.

Alarmed, my eyes flew to my mother, who motioned for me to help her get my father to the door. "Should we call a doctor?"

"Don't worry. Asfand, can you call Dr. Laghari?" Zeenia said, her arm stretched towards me, rushing to my side.

"There's no need. My daughters and I will be going home now," Baba coughed out. He looked my way with wide eyes, no longer soaked with rage but with bright apprehension. Worry for me. His eyes darted to me, indicating, pleading for me to come with him.

Home.

Tension worked along my back, and nerves fluttered in my stomach. Taimoor's eyes zinged my way in a milli-second, his eyes flashing with panic, rage, and then tightening blankness. He drew in a deep, preparing breath, and as he straightened, he looked at me with so much power, it obliterated me. I went boneless. In that small second, I could read every single one of his thoughts, starting from Seher's confession, going back to his past, and then zooming to an end at his silent deceleration yesterday. That was impossible but maybe, judging by the fear flickering on the surface of those depthless, stormy eyes, he was afraid.

Afraid of what? Losing the company, his legacy, or losing me?

He knew I could leave. I could leave right now and end our relationship. Our original six months were up. He had no power over me. No tangible hold. No way to come after me.

"I-"

"I think that's a good idea. I'm sure your youngest is tired from last night's festivities," my mouth dropped open in shock. Taimoor's mother, Rania stepped around the desk to stand beside her son. My gaze went from the older Mughal sibling to the younger ones, and they each had a similar look of disbelief. "But please accept our invitation to stay for a little longer. There is much that needs to be discussed."

Returning her gaze to us, her features were only finely lined considering how much stress she was in right now. All the anxiety I'd had when we had walked into this room had now been replaced with power and determination.

Love linked us all when you had it, and especially when you didn't.

And I could understand her desperation in wanting to keep her family intact.

Taimoor's mother abruptly straightened, and a stillness washed over her. "Mansoor, it looks like we are in dire need of some family time and it seems like we now owe you a long-due apology," her focus swung to me. "Isn't that right beta?"