Insanisa

𝕴 went to bed that night with a tornado of feelings that refused to make sense, battling each other—confusion, lust, inspiration, anger

𝕴 went to bed that night with a tornado of feelings that refused to make sense, battling each other—confusion, lust, inspiration, anger. To my relief, the nightmares didn't return. But the next morning, I did find a bottle of my prescribed anxiety tablets on my bedside table with my breakfast.

Control freak.

Figuring that I might as well do something productive with my time, I decided to reply to Zeenia's messages. My problems with her brother just seemed to be getting worse, so there was no sense in punishing her any longer.

An hour before lunch, Zeenia waltzed into my rooms, a picture-perfect model of seductive professionalism. Her makeup present, but natural, her long dark hair in sculpted waves, pinned discreetly back on either side.

"I didn't expect you to reach out," she slunk into the rooms, stepping into the bright light from the sun peeking through the curtains.

I tensed and put the book to the side, sitting straight up on the chaise."I'm a woman of my word. I know what's expected of me."

"Despite what my brother has done?"

"Your brother is-"

"An ass. I know. Nothing that can be done about it," her worried eyes met mine when I slouched back down. "How are you?"

A fissure of guilt flowed through me. I shrugged and redirected the question towards her. "How are you?"

"Ready to get over with this pregnancy thing," she traced her freshly manicured hands down the leather coat hugging her thin torso and down her bulging stomach. "I know the circumstances aren't ideal and you've suffered great trauma. I don't want to push you, but-"

I swallowed a chuckle. Affandi really couldn't hide anything from his wife.

"The birthday bash. I can read the date on my calendar."

"That bad?"

"I've been stuck in this house waiting for the ax to fall. I can't go anywhere or do anything productive. I haven't been able to see my family, who by the way, are still not convinced about any of this."

"I'm sure he'll give you-"

"I don't want his permission. That's the thing. I'm his wife. Only on paper. Not his prisoner."

Her mouth thinned and she uncrossed her legs. "Look Daania. I don't presume to know what my brother wants and how he thinks, despite being twins. For some reason, he warned me to stay away from you until you reached out, which I didn't appreciate at all but I had to do it. So I think it's best you discuss this with him," my lips twitched, attempting to mask the anger she caused with her words. We were all just pawns in his game. "Although, I get how you feel. I'm ready for my maternity leave to be over so I can go back to the office."

"I don't think he wants to discuss anything with me."

"I didn't take you for a girl who just gave up, you're more than this."