26. Camila

My instincts had been 100 percent right. Klausman, the show producer with the completely shaven dome and ever-present frown, had been tough as steel. He was hard to read and calculating, but I'd managed to separate him from about $1,000 by sticking to my guns, studying my cards, and quickly analysing what had been played and what hadn't. Klausman was a fierce opponent; the guy showed no emotion, and he reminded me of how I played in Austin's fake games.

Except tonight, I didn't play like that. I played loose and carefree on the outside, laughing and joking, and mixing a drink here and there at the restaurant Veronica was slated to open in two weeks.

Speakeasy, she was calling it, and the place was gorgeous. There were booths in fine brown leather ad gorgeous oak tables, as well as a long, polished wooden bar. I loved that she hadn't gone with the overly slick look of so many bars and restaurants these days that draped them selves in chrome and steel. This restaurant was classy and warm, with rich red-framed abstract prints on the walls, and burgundy stools at the bar.

Veronica sat next to Lucy, Lauren's friend, a pretty brunette with a sharp mind. Veronica worked the cards, and finished dealing to Luis, then slapped down the last card for Klausman. He picked up his cards and considered them, his cold blue eyes on the hand in front of him. He'd never be the type invited to Austin's games; he wasn't an easy target. I held my own cards, not too tight, not too close, as Lauren rested a hand absently on my thigh. Her white button-down shirt-sleeves were rolled up, showing off her fabulous forearms. Lauren wore her purple tie, knotted loosely at her chest. Her lucky tie, she'd called it. She puffed on a cigar, looking sexy and oh-so-fuckable doing so.

But I wasn't focused on her right now. My real focus was on Klausman, and I tried to study him, to gauge his next move.

"Well, this is just a shit hand" Luis said out of nowhere, slapping his cards down with a loud smack, and shaking his head, "I'm so out I'm beyond out. They're going to need a new word for how out I am in this round" He brought the cigar he was smoking back to his mouth.

I smiled faintly at Lauren's lawyer friend. He was exactly as Lauren had described: big personality, big voice, lit up the room. He even smoked grandly, puckering his lips around his cigar and taking deep inhales.

"So, Miss Camila" he said, "what is your favourite drink to make? Absolute favourite in the entire universe of spirits?"

"How about you let the woman play?" Lauren asked, as Klausman pushed a black chip to the centre of the table, muttering that he was in.

Luis's eyebrows rose at Lauren's question, "What? Your woman can't talk and play cards at the same time?"

I raised my eyes, "Champagne for happiness. Whiskey for loneliness. And vodka for anything else" I answered as I slid a chip into the pile.

Luis blew outa long stream of smoke, making rings with his big mouth, "Well, look at that. She'd a poet. That was fucking beautiful. Was that not a beautiful ode to drinking?" Luis glanced around the table, at Veronica, at Lucy, at Klausman, and at Lauren, waiting for them to respond to his question.

"It was lyrical" Veronica said, glancing up from her cards to flash one of her charmer smiles. It was so clear she was an actor, because she had that it factor, the charisma that made her shine on stage, "Like a gorgeous soliloquy" Tossing a chip into the mix, she turned to Lucy who stayed in the round yet again, even though she hadn't won yet. I had to give her credit. The woman wasn't backing down, even though she'd had nothing decent all night, and could barely play. But she had iron nerves and kept on ticking. Even Veronica, who couldn't keep her hands off her, hadn't distracted her from her cards. Not when she nuzzled her neck, ran her fingers through her hair, or flirted like a movie star with her.

"I'm gonna toast your ode to drinking" Luis said, holding up his glass across the table.

I raised an imaginary glass, "Cheers" I said, and soon it was time for hands to be revealed.

Lauren went first, laying down her cards: only a ten high.

"Oh, you bluffing bastard!" Luis shouted, "Did you actually think you were going to win with that?"

She simply shrugged, and the corner of her lips quirked up. Her secret? She was protecting my secret, "Woman's gotta try" Lauren said dryly, leaning back in her chair. She ran a finger over my thigh as I placed my cards on the table, showing my pair of sevens.

"Lucky sevens" I said proudly, then I noticed Lucy looking at me. Or rather, at my leg. At the exact spot where Lauren's hand was, as she ran her fingers across the fabric of my stocking. Maybe it was coincidence, or maybe there was something more to the stare.

Meanwhile, Klausman laid down his cards, and he had a pair of fives.

A phone rand, and Veronica reached into her pocket. Glancing at the screen, she said, "My film agent. Let me go take this" She rose.

"Wait. Vero, what do you have?" Lucy asked.

She waved off her hand, "I got jack shit. That's what I got. You show them my hand" she said, bending down to kiss Lucy on the forehead. She tilted her face up and let out a small murmur. Maybe she did like her.

After she left, Lucy shrugged and said, "I guess it's my turn. And I think I might have won my first hand" she said, showing two kings.

My chest tightened and annoyance threaded its way through my body. Damn. The last person I'd expected to win was Lucy. But then I told myself to let go of the annoyance. This was poker, and you didn't win every hand. Besides, I was having fun not playing with Squirrel watching over me. Not having to show my cleavage to take down a VC. I had my eye on the prize, and I planned to snag the brass ring of victory. and then march into the breakfast meeting with Austin tomorrow, shove the greenbacks in his face, and tell him to kiss the fuck off.

Klausman pushed back from the table, "Since there's a break in action, I'll take a break"

I turned to Luis, who was finishing his scotch, "Want another?"

"I would love one" he said.

Lucy waggled her empty glass, "I could use another. I'll join you"

"Sure. We'll make it a ladies' night behind the bar"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

as promised... the first glimpse into the poker game