Chapter 14 : Road Trip

By noon they reached a town called Vyshny Volochyok, where Morris decided to refuel the car, and refresh themselves.

"This place is beautiful!" JoJo eating her Kebab while looking out a lake, she insisted Kebab and nothing else, as if developed an appetite from their first meal together.

"Everything is, when you get some peace and quiet." Morris too, admiring the scenery.

"Do you come here often?"

"Do you pick up boys in school with this line?"

The little girl laughed, first sign of joy since Morris found her, her light blonde hair glowed under the sun and her smile sparkled like the lake.

"Can you teach me how to snap fingers?"

"What? They don't teach you that in military school?"

Put away his lunch, he raised his fingers to her face and snapped, JoJo mimicked his move a few times but gave up.

"Keep trying. You're doing it right, but it takes time to work." Morris guided. "Never give up. You'll get it in no time."

Right after he said it, JoJo made her first audible snap, her smile was magical.

"See? Next you'll be carjacking in no time!" Morris laughed.

"Too bad my father won't appreciate that. He doesn't even like me dancing." JoJo said sadly.

"Do you dance?"

"In the school art club, but he never come watch."

"I'm sure he's just busy. He's an Army General for Christ Sake. He's practically running the country." Big Man, Big Decisions. He has been there.

"He rarely runs the house, neither does my mother."

Morris could picture it already, living in a luxury house on Tamanskaya Street, with everything a kid ever wanted but a family.

He watched JoJo unfolded a small wallet, staring at her family photo. She was younger, dressed in black blazer and golden belt, a military school uniform. Her father Mikhail Siwanov, stood proud in his rank and medals. Her mother was a beautiful woman, and JoJo bears all her resemblance.

"I'm surprised they didn't take that from you."

"I guess wallets couldn't make calls." JoJo said, her eyes running. "I never thought I would miss them so much!"

"They're not gone, just far ahead, and we're going to see them right now."

Half an hour later they were back on the road, but Morris was driving slower than before, he didn't sleep all night, and the lunch was making him drowsy.

"Won't you take a rest?" JoJo concerned.

"I need to get you to your father."

"You won't get me to my father if we have an accident."

"We don't have time!"

"Let me drive."

"What?" he turned to her.

"My chauffeur Artyom would let me drive around the front yard when we were alone. It's a pencil straight road. How hard can it be?"

Seeing the man hesitated, she added.

"Look. You said we need to store up energy, Right? We might run into more trouble when we get to St. Petersburg, who's gonna protect me then?"

Much did he want to deny that idea, JoJo was absolutely right. Morris calculated the time in his head, pulled off the highway and found an empty space.

He adjusted the seat for the nine year old, showed her the foot pedals and shift. She was a fast learner, soon steering the car in a safely manner. He really didn't prefer to let a nine year old drive, but JoJo was right, who knows what awaits them on the other side?