Chapter 23 : Rescue

Twenty miles west of St. Petersburg, at the tip of the coast line stood the Shepelevskiy Mayak Light House. General Siwanov and his wife Anna were held at gun points, deep in a bunker built in World War Two. Denikin, the leader of Maxa, waited impatiently for the delivery from his men.

The General was hard, refused to give up the experimental missile plan, even when his wife was beaten and under threat. But Denikin knew he would not act the same once he sees his ever loving daughter.

Suddenly the bunker shook, something exploded from beyond the walls.

"We're under attack!" the radio sounded. "We're being bombed!"

"Impossible! No one knows we're here!" Denikin cursed.

"We're taking heavy fire!"

"Mortars! Coming from southeast!" someone reported.

"Mortars?" Both Denikin and the General asked, no one uses it since the last War.

Outside, half a dozen launchers were set around the lighthouse, triggered by a timer to launch mortars at the bunker, creating an illusion of a massive invasion. Morris, Slava and JoJo held separate sniper posts, gunning down anyone who showed their faces.

"We have them! We have them!" the radio reported. "We have the target! There's a little girl!"

"Bring her in!" Denikin smiled to the General. Siwanov dreaded, his worst nightmare has finally come.

Moments later, a group of men hurried into the bunker, most of them covered in dust and injury, some bleeding from the head, laying out the wounded on the floor. Denikin watched his man shoved the little girl hard across the floor, Siwanov caught JoJo before she fell, hugging his daughter tightly.

"Papa!" JoJo cried in her father's embrace.

"Isn't this sweet? A Full House!" Denikin laughed. "Now, General. I have all the cards."

He yanked the girl from her father's hand, the parents protested, but were held back under guns points.

"Papa! Papa!" JoJo cried and struggled in the man's arm.

"Don't touch her!" the Siwanovs snared.

Denikin held JoJo in his arm, his other hand bringing a gun to her head.

"NO!" both the General and his wife gasped, fearing that one wrong word may trigger the mad man.

"Please!" JoJo begged. "Let me speak to my father!"

"You can tell them when you are in heaven!" Denikin said holding her struggle.

"Please! My father listens to me!"

Denikin knew very well that by killing the daughter, it would only rage the General further, and he will never get his plan. Hearing an option, he smiled.

"Speak!" He pressed the barrel to the side of her head. "This maybe your last chance!"

JoJo looked at the number of men around the bunker, collected her tears and turned to her father.

"Papa, I may never live up to your expectation..." she sobbed. "But I want you to know I can do THIS!!"

JoJo snapped a finger. Behind them, a man bleeding from the head raised his guns, started shooting at the line of men behind the General. Not far away, another guard with a face full of blood, opened both arms and gunned down the threats around his wife.

With chaos broke out, JoJo opened her legs to a perfect split, slipping right under Denikin's holding, quickly rolled away from danger. Denikin turned his face back from the shooting, only to find himself looking down the barrel of a gun.

General Siwanov held the gun he received from his daughter, hidden under her denim jacket when they were hugging. He pulled the trigger and sent a bullet directly between the mad man's eyes.

JoJo rolled to her feet and dived over her mother, pulling her away from the flying bullets, as her father gunned down two more guards.

"JoJo! Reload!" Siwanov heard someone yelled.

"Here!"

The General watched his nine year old daughter kicked an assault rifle across the floor. The man whose face covered in blood, picked up the rifle and fired at him. The bullet passed the General by inches, struck down a man who was about to shoot him from behind.

"Papa! Your right!!" JoJo yelled.

He saw another man raising a rifle to his wife, the General dived at all cost to shield his family, taken a bullet in the arm. Morris spun his gun around, shot the man who fired at the General, and another next to him. Slava dropped her empty gun and picked up an assault rifle from a dead man, shooting at everyone that wasn't friendly.

Smoke and gunpowder filled the air, JoJo untied the bow from her ponytail, wrapped it around her father's wounded arm. The General stared at his daughter in disbelieve, amazed by her quick and steady reaction.

With the last gunshot ceased, voices called out from the thick smoke.

"JoJo??"

"I'm safe!"

"General?" the same voice asked.

"Papa is wounded!" the little girl cried.

"Area Secured!" a woman reported.

Still shielding his family, the General looked into the mist and saw two shadows emerging, a man and a young woman, their blood washed away by their sweat, revealing two new faces.

"Who are you?" the General asked.

"Papa! They are here to save us!" JoJo said.

"If you don't mind, General." the man said to him. "It's better we go."

"But he's wounded!" JoJo cried.

"Come on, General." Morris smirked and offered a hand. "That must be a poke on the skin to you."

He and JoJo helped the General to his feet, and Slava to the mother, walked pass a path of dead bodies and back out the open air.

"Who are you?" the General asked again, now seeing everything was safe.

"They call him the Talon!" JoJo bouncing like he was her new best friend.

"The Talon?" the General's face turned white hearing the name.

"Cold War's over, General." Morris brought out a cigarette and lighted it.

"But we aren't."

All eyes turned to the dark hair woman. Slava stood with her hand by her holster, ready to draw.

"No!" JoJo ran up, shielding the big man with her tiny body.

"Talon lives up to his words." Slava narrowed her eyes.

"What's going on?" the General looked from one to another.

"She's going to take him away!" JoJo sobbed.

"Who are you?" the General asked the young woman.

"I'm from an agency you don't want to know." Slava answered coldly.

"CIA?"

"No, and stop guessing."

"It's okay, JoJo." Morris held the little girl. "I'm gonna be okay. They're not going to hurt me."

"You're just saying that!" she shook her head, with tears running down her face.

"JoJo." he dropped to one knee and ran a finger to fix her hair, like on their first night. "All journeys must come to an end, but there are always better things to help you forget."

"I'll never forget you. I swear!"

Morris stayed and letthe little girl hugged him for a long time, before returning her to her father.He made a formal solute to the General, got into a car and let Slava take himaway.