Chapter Seven

Just over an hour later I sat on a wooden bench, sipping lemonade as I watched my friend throw herself around the dance floor. She had seen no reason against drinking the night away and, from my perspective, I could see why. She was a magnificent dancer, her natural beauty enhanced as she stopped worry about everything around her, thanks to the drinks. She spun and twirled between people, cartwheeling and flipping the instant a gap appeared in the crowd. I watched, wondering if I was envious of her looks and free spirit. Yet I couldn't be, it was just too good to see her again, especially as happy as this.

"I remember when I took her," a voice said from right behind me. I flinched, looking over my shoulder as Jax slid his legs over the bench to sit beside me.

"So do I," I answered, watching as Gemma grabbed a partner and started spinning him around.

"You were both only little."

"It's why I was always so scared of the drains. You weren't very nice about it, either."

"I rarely am. I felt bad about it afterwards. Taking her from her family when she was in a fight like that. They still blame themselves."

I nodded knowingly, remembering the sound of the bridge being taken down. The hammer against the wood. The clatter of debris raining down the side of the building into the alley below.

"Do you keep track of everyone's families once you take someone?"

He shook his head.

"Only a couple. Mostly people whose families don't move on immediately."

"That's sad, in a way."

He nodded and before I could continue the conversation Gemma was bouncing up and down in front of me.

"Oh, sister, they have karaoke!" she exclaimed, pulling me to my feet.

"Which doesn't specifically mean I have to sing."

"Of course it does! You love to sing."

"You haven't seen me for ten years and you think I can still sing."

"I know you can. I dance, you sing. Not even time will change that."

She giggled and I rolled my eyes, glancing over my shoulder at Jax. He didn't smile, but his eyes were warm, something I was only just recognising as laughter. I flashed a grin of my own before letting Gemma yank me to my feet. She pulled me to the edge of the crowd and I saw what she was talking about. There was a stage built from old wooden crates, a live band set up on top. A man in sparkling clothes and a million studs stood on the stage, gesturing around. All the dancers had pressed together, drawing closer to the sound of his voice. I pushed through the crowd and zoned in halfway through a sentence.

"... ready to jive? Who's first?"

I held my hands by my side, purposefully not volunteering. Gemma flashed an evil grin and I shot her a glance. She wasn't telling me something. Just then a light flashed across the crowd, shining bright in my face before moving on.

"Devore, Elma, Diane or Eric. How will I choose from so many faces? Do I see any unfamiliar people in the crowd? Aha!" his voice exclaimed, shooting through me. The light returned to blaze upon my face and I groaned.

"Leader, have you brought us a new one?" the studded man asked. I turned to where Jax was sitting.

I can't break tradition just for you, I'm afraid. He said sincerely, but I could see he was holding back a smile.

"That I have, Joe! Her drink's on me if she sings!" he called out, his voice only just yelling over the crowd. He raised his glass to the sky and everyone cheered. I gasped as I was dragged out of the crowd and pushed from all angles up onto the stage.