Chapter Twenty-One

We had our plan, and we were in position. Well, everyone except me. I moved through the darkness, appearing beside Gemma where she waited by the fuse box, hovering on the edge of the crowd. She nodded at me.

"Be careful," she warned.

"You too."

"I'm pretty sure flicking a bunch of switches is infinitely less dangerous than what you're about to face."

"Still, you could get electrocuted or something."

She rolled her eyes, and I disappeared once again, having spotted Tristan and Joe hovering in the crowd right by the cage, joining in those inspecting the monster of the drains. They were ready, too. Now it was up to me.

I took a deep breath.

I was meant to tell you next time I did something stupid. I thought in Jax's direction. So this is me telling you. I'm about to do something stupid. Just hang in there for me, please. You can tell me off after.

He didn't move in his cage, showing no sign he'd heard me or that he was awake. Wiping a tear that threatened to fall, I stepped into the darkness and away from the commotion and bright lights.

Almost instantly I felt the huge presence looming over me. Fear trickled down my back, and I turned slowly. Hot air breathed on my face, and I took a slow step backwards. I'd not meant to get this close just yet.

"Hey big guy," I said, watching his slitted nostrils flare at my scent, drool starting to drip down his furless skin. There was a loud splash behind him, a wet sounding thud that made my breath catch in my throat. It sounded so wrong, and I didn't dare look to see who he'd been dragging a moment ago.

If the council wanted a monster, I'd give them a real one.

The darkness still lingered around me, and just as I felt his huge jaw click open and his neck muscles spasm, about to swallow me whole, I pushed myself back with the darkness, flying just out of reach. He roared, and I smiled.

"Keep coming, I'm right here."

We continued our dance, him a grunting mass of muscle and fat, surprising me with his ability to hobble through the tight drains despite the size of him. I'd no idea how I was going to get him through the streets and close enough to the council, but I was hoping whatever I could do would be close enough to cause a distraction.

"You could ask for help, you know," a dreaded voice sounded from just behind me, causing me to turn my back on the floundering monster and glance at where I was going.

"I have help, it's just not from you," I frowned. He gave me a tight-lipped smile.

"I told you, I want to protect Rewes. Especially if my daughter decides to call it home. And as much as I'd like to just sweep in and take over from its leader, I'm not one for leading. Besides, all those tasty humans would be too tempting for me to stay away."

I glared at him, but the breath of the monster on my back forced me to push through the darkness again, moving closer to my father regardless.

"You can't help anyway, they've got Jax's cage lit up everywhere. So please just let me get this guy through here and leave me alone."

"And where are you taking him?"

"To the council courtyard."

"And how are you planning to get him there? There's no drains, and even the drains nearby are far too small to fit him out of."

"I'm aware."

I moved out of the way again, causing a roar to shake the walls behind me.

"So, if I said I could help, you wouldn't accept my offer?"