Chapter Fifteen

We had to wait for the right moment, the moment the street outside was clear. Every time I got in position, ready to start, something else would round the corner and throw us into limbo again. Finally, there was a gap larger than any other, and we all seemed to sense that it was now or never. Mum helped, getting Goldenhaze into the front foyer, hugging her with the excuse of pain at the loss of me and Brady. Goldenhaze had no idea that mum was in pain because she was about to lose her last child, and that this hug was a final farewell.

Then whilst they shared their last hug, I stepped out of the darkness, opening my voice. My sister's eyes snapped towards me; shock, hope, excitement. Before any other emotions could sink in, I latched onto what she was feeling, and it encompassed my song. I sang of our family, our happy times, and how I missed my big sister. I sang of Brady and me, playing without her, wishing she were there. I sang of everything the three of us had been.

And then I sang of everything we could be. I sang of new beginnings, new opportunities, a new life. I sang of the chance of love and laughter and happiness. With every lyric I took another step towards the door, and she took a further step towards me. Darkness swirled the door opened of its own accord; no doubt due to Jax. I kept my backwards steps, hand outstretched towards my sister, and she stepped in time with me, growing closer and closer to the world outside.

She paused in the doorway, her mind fighting me. She was so hopeful, so willing and wanting what I said to be true. She wanted to believe that I was really here, in front of her, promising her a life with Brady and me safe and alive. Yet she doubted me. She had thought I was dead, and she'd heard tales of my ghost appearing to the men in the shed. While one part of her yearned for this to be real, another part of her was shutting down, trying hard not to risk more pain if I was just an illusion.

"Trust your sister, honey. She's real, and she's trying to help you. Everything will make sense later, I promise. Stop doubting and just trust her," mum said, out of sight of the doorway, but murmuring to Goldenhaze gently.

Tears streaked down my sister's face, indecision pulling at her. My voice grew stronger, louder, modulating to a new key. It was enough, just. Her foot took that tiny step forwards, and it broke a wave inside of her, forcing her to rush down the steps and onto the street to stand in front of me. We were metres from the drain still, so close, but not quite close enough.

Someone's coming. Jax warned.

"Goodweather?" my sister said, and I stopped singing.

"Hey sis," I said, smiling awkwardly.

Then, just before the group of men rounded the corner and came into view, I grabbed my sister with both my hands and my darkness and I threw both of us towards the drain. Jax wrapped us up, catching us just before we hit the soggy floor.

Don't say anything. Jax warned, but whether Goldenhaze couldn't hear him, or chose not to listen, it didn't matter. She let out an ear-piercing scream.

I let the scream echo out, thoughts racing. Jax looked at me questioningly.

People fear the drains already, screams coming from down here aren't going to do much.

Unless this new movement of explorers decide to investigate the scream while it's still happening. How long can she go for?

With that Goldenhaze broke her scream off, her hands outstretched as she tried to stand in the darkness. Her eyes were wide, and I didn't know what to do.

How do you get people to move when they can't see and they can't hear you? I asked Jax.

Jax moved over to my sister, hovering behind her. He leaned forwards, lips beside her ear.