Author Note

If you would've told me in 2018 that I wrote out the entire story of Parker and Miles, and then proceeded to publish it online (especially those explicit scenes...), I would've laughed in your face. But here we are!

It's crazy to me that the story is over! I had so much fun planning out the story, writing the dialogue, exploring the two boys ' relationship, and all of that stuff inbetween.

Thank you, thank you, thank you guys for sticking around the entire time. I can't believe that there are people out there that are actually interested in the boys' story and stuck around long enough to see it through. It's something that every writer dreams of, so I'm baffled at the support.

The idea of this story came to me roughly around 2017. It's been a long-ass time, and I've spent a LOT of nights tossing and turning the plot around in my head. I always knew how the two boys met, what their dynamic would look like, and what Miles would choose in the end, but the actual plot itself was a muddy mess.

I spent months picking the story up and then setting it back down. Mainly because I talked myself out of it, lol. #impostersyndrome

A lot of things were scrapped (including making Parker and Griffin twin brothers, letting Parker have a girlfriend and cheat on her with Miles, having Griffin beat the shit out of Miles at one point, etc etc) but I'm really happy with the end result here!

There's such a strong presence around clichés in YA novels today that I wanted to step away from that. Don't get me wrong, I think a few common tropes are great here & there so the reader can find something familiar, however I was determined to give this story a realistic edge.

It wouldn't have been realistic for Parker to struggle with his sexuality for so long, that the one day he finally gets a boyfriend he turns into mister happy-go-lucky and the world is all rainbows. Anxiety and other mental health issues don't get cured the moment you meet your true love. You could have the strongest connection in the world with someone and still balk at the idea of dating for awhile.

Long story short, I hope that there's aspects in the story that everyone can relate too.

Even a few chapters near the end had an intentional feeling of a clock ticking. I think every person has had an encounter with a loved one where it feels like time is escaping you, and there's nothing you can do to stop it. I hope I captured that feeling with the urgency of each chapter after Parker found out Miles secret.

Fortunately, this book isn't the end. There's still too much of this world to explore, and besides, no one has heard Griffins side of the story yet... so, if you're ready for round two, the sequel Breaking The Rules is on my profile now!

See you all on the flip side!

xoxo

***********
The Officially-Unofficial ROTG Playlist

These songs played part in inspiration & vibes for specific chapters, scenes, and lines.
Please be aware that most
contain explicit language.

Motorbike ~ Leon Bridges
Shake The Frost (Live) ~ Tyler Childers
Jungle ~ Drake
Rumor ~ Lee Brice
Pink Skies (Demo) ~ Wiley From Atlanta
It Wasn't Me ~ Shaggy, Rik Rok
Scorpio ~ Moneybagg Yo
On Some High ~ Sebastian Paul
Wet Dreamz ~ J. Cole
Escape From Babylon ~ $uicideboy$
New Flame ~ Chris Brown
Strawberry Huracan ~ MASN
Give You Up ~ Jutes
Goodbye ~ Boy In Space
Slow Down ~ Chase Atlantic
Youth ~ Daughter
State Lines ~ Novo Amor
Like Real People Do ~ Hozier
IFHY ~ Tyler, The Creator
life got crazy ~ mike.
I Like That ~ Bazzi
Suga Suga ~ Baby Bash, Frankie J
Peach ~ Kevin Abstract
You Should Probably Leave ~ Chris Stapleton
Work Out ~ J. Cole
Mystery Of Love ~ Sufjan Stevens
Georgia ~ Vance Joy
Pyro ~ Kings Of Leon
Price Of Fame ~ Brent Faiyaz
abcdefu (angrier version) ~ GAYLE
Serotonin ~ girl in red
Twentythousand ~ EXES
The Beach ~ The Neighbourhood
It's Called: Freefall ~ Rainbow Kitten Surprise
Fire For You ~ Cannons
Beach Baby ~ Bon Iver
Into It ~ Chase Atlantic
Dark Red ~ Steve Lacy

Or, screenshot this & save yourself the pain: