Chapter 1: The phone number

Fate is what shuffles the cards, but we are the ones who play.

-William Shakespeare

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Calm, quiet and cold. That's how Duskwood seems to be today. It is pretty much what I was expecting, small, boring and even wierd. 

The day is cloudy, crows are flying over the house as they "sing" and the street looks damp and damp. I believe it has been raining here.

The wierdness is what intrigues me. Even though the city is as fun as a funeral, it is mysterious and gives me strange feelings. But what can I really say? I just arrived here 30 minutes ago.

I stare at my new house as I leave the taxi, carrying nothing but a suitcase and a box that I brought along. The house is furnished already, so I'll just lead to my room, which I hope is decent, and store my things without worrying about furniture and personal stuff spread everywhere .

_________________________________________

I already organized the few things I had and now im heading to that supermarket i've seen while I was arriving here. Apparently food didn't come along with the furniture pack.

I was almost there, but had to check on my phone again to she the exact location of it. And that was the moment It started ringing.

—Hello? -A strange man asks.

I shouldn't waste my time on this anyway. It must be a joke or even a salesman. It's probably some internet plan seller.

—Are you there? -He tries again.

—Who is this?

—Well, how can I put this...

—Do I even know you?

—I- I don't know. Listen, are you from Duskwood?

—Yea, sure. What else do you want to know, my adress or credit card number?

—Sorry, I didn't mean to seem like this. The thing is: My girlfriend, who has been missing for three days, sent me your number and only. I just wanted to talk to you along with some of my friends that are helping. I'm in front of the Avenida's supermarket right now...

I can't believe this is happening. That was it. The supermarket i've seen earlier and I was just trying to go to.

—How am I supposed to know who you even are?

—That means you are coming?

—Quit the questions.

—Sorry. I'm wearing a black cap, a grey T-shirt and I also have a beard.

—Stay where you are.

—Thank you. I will.

I would never do this If i wasn't on the market's block already, I kept walking while we were talking and now I just found myself in the right place. He doesn't know me, so I can just enter, buy my stuff and leave if I decide to.

I didn't even consider looking for that wierdo, but there he appears to be. A tall guy with a beard, light brown hair, grey T-shirt and a cap stading in front of the shop.

He is agitated, almost nervous.  Stamping his foot and looking around anxiously.

I have no doubts he's looking for someone.

It's been 2 minutes since im observing him. It's clearly a WIERD and dangerous situation but I kept thinking, why my number (if it is even true) ?. Now I made my decision.