Chapter 17 Karaoke Night

After what happened Thursday, Orion put me on house arrest. He thinks I get hurt too much, so I need to completely heal before doing anything outside the house.

I may or may not agree with him.

The past couple days have been very laid back. Everyone does their own thing in the morning. Then we eat lunch and hang out until dinner. We eat, watch a movie, then go to bed. Repeat.

Today, though, everyone took Peter to the mall to celebrate him getting an A in his math class. Since I'm on house arrest, I'm not allowed to go, but that is why I'm surprising them with dinner instead.

My earbuds blast music in my ears as I dance around the kitchen. I sing my heart out with the words, not really caring how I sound, while also grabbing the ingredients I need. I know I sound terrible, but on one's around to hear me, so I don't care.

A scream comes along in the song, and I stop what I'm doing, open my mouth, and pretend to scream along with him with everything I have. I take every emotion I have right now—good and bad—and I let them all go.

These little glimpses of raw emotion makes me feel alive in my otherwise very mundane world. I live for these moments.

But don't worry, I don't actually scream. That would cause some unnecessary attention from the neighbors.

I just put myself in the place of the singer, feeling their pain and anger as well as my own. I let all these emotions swirl around in me, and then blast them out.

It's very cathartic.

I've done this as long as I can remember. Mom always hated it when I made unnecessary noise, so it works out for everyone.

The bass drops, and I throw my hands up and dance, banging my head in time with the beat. I feel the music in me as it flows and twists everywhere. When the song mellows out again, I pour the noodles in the strainer and turn around to stir the sauce, still swinging my hips. I glance at the clock. The others should be back in ten minutes. That's enough time to finish cooking the meat.

I put the meat in the pan as another song comes on, and I can't help but dance. The words may be depressing, but the music is gorgeous. I throw my hands up and shake my body to the beat, this time humming to the words.

"Blythe!"

I yank my earbuds out of my ears and whirl around. I see the others standing in the kitchen, all smiling and laughing. A weird mixture of relief and embarrassment floods through me as I put my hand on my chest, feeling my heart fighting to get out of my chest. "Oh my dear lord. Do not scare me like that!" I press my face onto the cold marble counter and try to calm my racing heart but also to block them from seeing my red face. I can't believe they saw me dancing and heard me singing. I'm always so careful about making sure I know when people are coming back. I'm always careful, but I guess this time, I got too into the music. I'm surprised I'm still standing because my legs feel like jelly.

Orion walks around the island and stands next to me, wrapping one arm around my waist. He places a kiss on my head and stirs the sauce. "We said your name four times, Blythe."

"Yeah," Dev says and places bags on the island. "It was your fault that you got scared. Why are you listening to music that loud anyway?"

I finally turn off my music and put it away, trying to ignore the fact that they saw it. "Because I wasn't expecting you guys back so soon," I say and try to shove them out of the kitchen. "And get out of here. I was trying to surprise you with dinner. But I guess that's ruined."

They all laugh but quickly leave the kitchen. I roll my eyes and finish up the meat. Then I plate everyone's food and call them back. We sit down, and they dig in.