Chapter 40 Cleaning Machine

I haven't slept at all. Every time I close my eyes, scenarios play in my head—mom finding out about us, mom hating me, mom finally, officially disowning me. They won't stop.

I look over at Orion sleeping peacefully on Peter's bed. He tried staying up with me, to try to get my mind off it, but he passed out around two hours ago. I'm glad he did though. He needs sleep, and I need to get through this by myself.

I've tried all my normal things—music, a movie, even a book—and nothing is working. My heart won't stop beating fast, and now my body feels all tingly and numb. I think I'm dying.

Soon enough, the sun slowly rises, and I climb out of bed. Orion only said that mom was coming—not what time—so I have to get the place ready for her.

Not wanting to be stuck in this tiny room anymore, I head down to the kitchen to find a pen and paper. I quickly jot down some of the rules that I made up over the years to not make her mad, so I can show the others. There's six on the list, but I can't think of any more. These will have to do. I fold the paper in half and put it in my pocket. I'll show it to the others later and make sure they follow every rule on this list. That way, mom will like them.

I feel like crying now. I can't stop thinking of what might happen. What if mom starts yelling at someone? What if she makes some remark that makes them cry? What if she yells at me for something I did?

I don't think I can take this anymore.

"Blythe?"

I whirl around and place my hands on the kitchen counter behind me.

Jax stands there, running his hand through his hair, and for one split second, the only thing on my mind is how hot he looks with his hand in his hair, his shirt riding up a bit, and the morning sun shining on him.

But then I blink, and the blissful moment is ruined.

"What are you doing up? You're never up this early."

I shrug. "You know, um... making breakfast." I book it to the fridge and open it. What would mom like for breakfast? I see the eggs and grab them, but then Jax takes them from my hand.

"You can't cook, Blythe. I am not trusting you with making breakfast after last time."

I turn around. "But—"

Jax leans down and kisses me, but before anything actually happens, he pulls away and places his forehead on mine. A simple peck meant to shut me up. "No buts. Go lay down. You look exhausted."

I roll my eyes but gently push him away and walk into the den to lay down. I hear him moving about behind me, but I pull a blanket over my head and close my eyes.

I jerk awake when I hear someone calling my name but after a while of silence, I lay back down. My heart is pounding too much to go back to sleep, but I'm so tired. My eyes are burning and foggy, and my body won't move except to match the thrumming of my heart. My brain screams at me that mom's going to be mad if I go back to sleep and ignore her.

Mom.

I sit up and look around, seeing Jax and Sam playing cards and Lincoln reading a book. "What time is it?" I ask, and Jax and Sam look at me.

"Nice to see you awake," Jax says and stands up. "I have some breakfast for you. You were still sleeping, and we didn't want to wake you." He grabs a plate from the fridge and puts it in the microwave.

I slowly get up, suddenly very dizzy, and walk over to the table. "What time is it?" I ask again.

"Around eleven thirty," Sam says after looking at his phone.