Chapter 23 Stubborn

Happy birthday to Nihachu!!!

The next couple days return to normal. It feels like how it used to be. I have happened to walk in on some things, but like I said, I just turn around and leave.

But every time I see them acting that way, I get... I don't know... sad? Jealous?

It's like that one time when Colt and I were younger, and Colt was the complete opposite of me. Where I was quiet and shy, Colt was outspoken and confident. I wanted so badly to be like him, but I knew that I never would. But yet I still wanted it.

I don't know. It's confusing.

And I really don't want to think about it now.

I skip down the last step and head to the den. I can hear them yelling all the way from my room. When I get there, I see Just Dance on the TV, and everything makes sense.

Orion and Peter are currently dancing while Sam sits on the couch watching them and texting presumably Jax or Dev. They went out this morning to run some errands. They'll be back later tonight. The only person missing here is Lincoln.

My guess is that he's painting.

I plop down next to Sam who leans on me a little.

"Orion and Peter are tied with five high scores," he whispers to me. "Whoever gets this one is the winner."

I learned a couple days ago that Just Dance is like Mario Kart with them in the sense that it's a cutthroat tournament of who's the best. It is not a game to be played lightly. I once beat Dev, and he wouldn't talk to me for days.

I yawn.

"Have you been getting enough sleep? Sam asks.

"Of course I have," I say, thinking back to my almost all nighters.

Sam looks at me like he doesn't believe me, and I look at the TV. Everyone needs to stop worrying about me. I am perfectly fine.

A knock sounds at the door, and Sam starts to get up, but I beat him to it. "I'll get it."

"No. Last time you got the door, I had to calm you down from a panic attack," Sam says, and the look in his eyes leaves no room for argument. He gets up and grabs onto my hand. "I'm coming with you."

I nod, too embarrassed to speak, and we both go to answer the door.

A lady stands outside, and I don't know her, but Sam seems to.

"What do you want?" he spits out, and I have to look at Sam to see if he's real or not. I've never heard him sound like that ever.

"Just to see Lincoln," the lady says. "I can see my son, can't I?"

Oh. So that's who she is.

Sam stands there, glaring at him until I nudge him. "Sam," I whisper.

Lincoln's mom turns her eyes to me. "And who are you? I don't think we've met before."

I open my mouth to answer, but Sam steps in front of me, blocking me from her view. I don't completely understand what's going on, but I do understand that she's not welcome here.

"Sam? Who's at the door?"

I look over my shoulder as Orion walks down the hallway. I glance back at Sam, but he doesn't move. Orion must see my face because his laid back expression dissolves, and his eyes turn hard. "Sam?"

Sam steps to the side, bringing me with him, and Orion sees who's here.

"Lila," he deadpans.

"Orion."