Chapter 41 Dance with the Devil

Orion had to leave early today because there was a work emergency, and Jax has an exam, so it's just Lincoln, Sam, Peter, Dev, mom, and I eating breakfast together. Mom seems to be getting along great with the others. She stayed for a little bit last night, met everyone and talked some, but then she went to her hotel for the night. By the time she left, I was exhausted and relieved. Nobody got her going, and she even commented on the clean house. So far so good.

She came early this morning, though, so I've been up since seven, and considering my track record of sleeping, I'm exhausted. But I have to pretend not to be so mom doesn't get mad at me for being lazy.

I rub at my burning eyes and focus on eating something. I barely ate anything yesterday because I couldn't, and today's not worse, but that doesn't mean I can eat anything.

I see mom's plate is empty, so I get up and grab her plate as I take both of them to the sink.

She doesn't even look at me or stop her conversation. Not that I expected that though. I stand at the sink and squeeze my eyes shut, trying to block out the very much bright lights, but I open them when I feel a hand slip into mine.

"Headache?" Sam whispers.

"A little," I say and squeeze his hand.

"I can get you an Advil?"

I shake my head with a forced smile. "Nah. I'm good."

"Why don't Lincoln and I go show your mom around the neighborhood? We'll be gone around thirty minutes, but that'll give you some relief."

Is it wrong to want your mom gone? I feel terrible. She's my mom, and yet I can't even—I can't function, relax, think clearly. I'm a terrible person. Before I can tell Sam that I'm okay and that they don't have to, Sam's already at the table asking mom if she wants to take a walk around the neighborhood. Of course, she says yes, and the three of them leave.

Peter and Dev then look at me.

"We have thirty minutes," Peter says and walks over to me. He grabs my hand and pulls me to the couch.

Dev sits down, then I do, and Peter climbs into my lap. We all sit there, snuggled together, and it feels amazing.

I close my eyes and just lay there. "Thanks," I whisper.

Dev kisses me on the head.

We sit there until Dev gets a text from Sam saying that they're two minutes away. We untangle and end up sitting next to each other—close I might add—and Dev turns on the tv as I grab a random book sitting on the table.

I open the book towards the middle and read a single sentence when the door opens, and the three of them come inside.

"That's amazing. I have to see that for myself," mom says.

"We can take you if you would like," Sam says. "It wouldn't be a problem."

"I would love to see it. Antiquing is one of my favourite things to do. Oh! And speaking of—" She rushes back outside and comes back in with a bag of goodies.

Sam nods at me, and I barely nod back at him, telling him that I'm better now.

"Here," mom says. "I brought one for each of you."

I look up as mom gives each person a little bag of chocolate covered almonds. They will always make me think of my grandfather when I see them.

"Can you give these to Orion and Jax when you see them, please, Sam?" She holds out two bags.

Sam takes them. "Of course."

She folds the bag up and goes to throw it away. I feel a pain in my heart.