Chapter 37 Colton Shows Up

I've been stressing over this day for a week now.

Colton is coming. Here. To visit.

After he texted me back before, we kept talking, and he asked if it would be okay to come visit for a day. Me, drunk off of being able to see him again, didn't think twice and told him yes, after asking Orion for permission of course.

Now, though, my anxiety is running high, and I'm terrified of him visiting.

"Why are you so worried, Blythe? Blythe?"

I blink and look at Sam. "Oh, um... what?"

Sam looks concerned. "Are you okay? You look like someone told you that there's no more ice cream left in the world."

I can't even smile at that. "I'm fine." I get up and walk into the kitchen. I can't sit there any more. "Anything I can help with?" I ask Orion, who's busy making lunch.

He looks over his shoulder and then gestures to the plates. "You can set the table."

I grab the plates and go around the table, placing one at each place and setting another place for Colton. I look at the clock.

Jax walks in and takes one look at me. "Did he say when he would be here? Because Blythe looks ready to fall over."

I take a big breath and feel that ball of air blocking my lungs. I feel myself getting dizzy and quickly rush upstairs. I bump into Lincoln on the way, but I don't stop. I rush into the room and pick up my ipod. I sit on the bed, close my eyes, and just listen to the music.

I don't even know why I'm getting so worked up. Yes, I haven't seen Colton since before the funeral, but he's still my brother. I grew up with him. We went through the mom thing together. He understands. But then what happened between him and mom flashes through my head before, and I know I don't believe what I'm telling myself.

Anyway, he's just coming for the day. Just stopping by on his way to Florida. He'll be gone by tomorrow. Just deal with tonight.

The song ends, and I feel better, so I put my music away and open the door. I see Lincoln sitting next to the door, and I stop.

He gets up when he sees me. "Are you okay?"

"Why were you sitting out here?"

"I didn't want to startle you. You needed time to get your head back on straight."

"Oh. Thanks I guess."

"Are you okay now?"

"I guess so."

There's a beat of silence. "If you ever need me to stay with you, just let me know, and I will."

I can't look into his eyes. He can't possibly know. But I nod my head anyway, and we go downstairs.

Then the doorbell rings.

My heart pounds as I turn around and open the front door. I put a smile on my face when I see him exactly how I remember him, complete with his black ripped jeans and black band shirt.

"Blythe!" he shouts and hugs me. "I haven't seen you in ages."

"Hey, Colt." I hug back. "Come in. The others are in the kitchen for lunch."

Before I shut the door, I spot the Tardis, Colt's car, parked on the street, and it makes me smile. He used to be such the nerd.

I lead him into the kitchen. "Everyone, this is my brother, Colton."

He waves. "Hello everyone."

I point out everyone. "That's Lincoln, Jax, Dev, Sam, Peter, and Orion."

He nods at Orion. "Thanks for letting me come visit Blythe."