Chapter Five

I gasp for air yet none enters my burning lungs. I glance around in hope to see Simon and Honey praying that they've reached the school like I have. They haven't.

I glance back towards the fence wishing to see them both arrive, yet all I can see is the clawed hands of the undead as they stretch through the bars in attempt to reach me.

No, this can't happen again. Memories of Bethany, Elizabeth and Maggie flood into my brain causing me to drop to my knees and lurch to vomit. Their screams echo in my skull and their blood still coats my hands. Acidic bile rises up my throat but I force it down before pushing myself to my feet.

A cluster of the undead stand at the gate meaning that if Honey and Simon arrive here, they'll be trapped. I should never have split up with them. I should never have agreed to their plan.

We were looking for useful junk and we all decided to split up. Simon headed towards the bookshop, Honey went towards the record dealer while I headed to the supermarket. Undead were flocked everywhere when I arrived. I ran back here, praying that I was the only one in danger, yet I recall hearing gunfire.

I watch the undead attempt to break through and if they continue piling up at the gate, they may eventually break it with brute force. I can't let that happen. I go to move forward when I catch a glimpse of stunning red hair.

Simon creeps behind the swarm of undead his expression fearful and anxious. He spots me and the desperation in his eyes hurts me yet I don't know what I can do. He chew his lip before reversing into a shadow. He lifts a stone from the ground and throws it at a car parked against the road. The stone thuds hard against the metal of a car leaving a dent and attracting the undead.

The undead army stagger towards the car leaving Simon enough space to clamber over the fence and join me on the other side. Within seconds of seeing him, I notice his scrunched up expression from pain.

"Are you infected?" Is the first question I ask when I find the large, gory gash in the arm.

"No. A zombie never touched me." He assures me and I nod. I assist him in peeling the blood soaked fabric away and I stare at the wound. I can visibly see the layers of muscle that's been sliced through, leading down into a lot of blood. "Where's Honey?" He asks through gritted teeth. I help him sit so he does callapse and then begin to light a fire.

"Missing in action." I tell him which almost sends him springing back up. I place a pan of water over my newly lit fire before turning back to Simon.

"We need to find her." He states and I nod in agreement. I've been staying with Honey and Simon for two weeks yet I feel as though I've known them since the beginning. They're both extremely important to me meaning that the thought of something happening to either one of them hurts like an electric shock.

"And we will. First though, I have to sterilies your wound else you're going to gain a nasty infection." I tell him as I dip a cloth into the near boiling water. I then begin wiping around the wound as he hisses through gritted teeth in attempt to not cry out.

"Fuck." He gasps as I rinse the cloth and then place it against the wound. He flinches away but I seize his wrist and hold him still as I dab the gore away. Thanks to the world ending, there is a lack in medical supplies meaning that we've resulted to using boiling water to cleanse wounds and clean fabric as a bandage.

Once I've finished cleaning the wound of any possible infection, I cut an area of my shirt off with a knife and wash it in the boiling water. Once satisfied, I wrap it tightly around Simons wounded arm to help stop the bleeding.

"We have to find Honey." He says through gritted teeth. He fiddles with the knot I tied the bandage with, in attempt to loosen it but I pull his hand away.