Chapter Twenty-two

Honey searches the bottom floors while Val searches the middle ones and I search the top and the roof. While it is freezing outside I doubt that it will deter Simon from sitting out there and allowing himself to get hypothermia.

"Shit." I curse as I arrive on the roof to see my boyfriend laying on the ground. I race towards him and kneel at his side to find his skin pale and sweaty. I shake him yet he doesn't wake up.

It takes me a moment or so to notice the almost empty pot of pills on the floor. I pat my pockets to confirm that the pot is the one I'm supposed to be watching in case of issues just like this one.

"No, no, no." I panic as I desperately shake him. "Simon... Simon!" He doesn't move or open his eyes. Quickly, I check for a heartbeat to find it steady yet slower.

This can't be happening right now.

"Honey! Val!" I acream desperately praying that they hear me. The thought of lossing Simon is too much yet I have no idea on how to save him.

The door leading the roof bangs open and both of my friends race forward. Honey cries out in horror while Val collapses to Simon's side and stares at me.

"What happened to him?" They demand as they feel for a heart beat and breath.

"Overdosed on the weird pill things." I state, my voice trembling with such force I doubt that anyone actually understood what I was attempting to say. Val did apparently though because they shove me away and get to work.

"This isn't going to be pretty." They state grimly and I turn away while Honey continues to watch, her golden skin pale with fright.

With my back turned, I don't know what Val did but the sound of Simon vomitting and gasping fills my ears. I turn back to my boyfriend to find him trembling in a sweaty heap.

"What did you..."

"I triggered his gag reflex. Managed to get him to vomit the pills back up before they got into his blood stream." Val states calmly.

"Thank you." I say, the words sounding more like a sob then anything. I go to kneel down beside Simon and take him in my arms yet before I even get a chance to move he speaks.

"Please..." He gasps. "Please, just leave me alone." He's crying and frankly I can't blame him. I go to question him on his intention with the pills and it's clear that Honey wants to do the same yet Val quickly intervenes.

"You two should go. I'll get everything else sorted." They say in a tone that makes it obvious that arguments are pointless.

"But..." Honey tries anyway.

"Go." They snap and I snatch Honey's arm and drag her away before I choose to become stubborn and stay as well.

_________________________________________

Neither Honey nor I have spoken since we sat down together where we were supposed to be sleeping.

"Why do you think he did it?" I finally question after a while. Honey hums for a moment in thought before exhaling loudly.

"I don't know." She finally says and we both fall into silence again.

Simon... Will I ever be able to understand him? He fights so hard yet is constantly suggesting that we just give up. He's quiet and closed off yet also open and talkative. He's so confusing and I love him yet I don't know what to do.

"Will he be alright?" I choose to ask next.

"Val will take care of him." She responds holding full faith that Val will look after and protect Simon from whatever he may be going through.

"I can't believe that I let them bite him." I state but Honey only shrugs with an unreadable expression.

"I want to blame you but I can't completely. Just try not to think about it. After all, you can't change the past, only impact the future." She informs me wisely and I can't help but smile slightly.

"I haven't heard a positive speach in so long." I state and she laughs slightly.

"If Simon was here he'd tell us that we're all going to be dead within the next week or two." She comments and I nod in agreement.

"Why is he like that?" I question.

"Dunno. His mum once said that he was always a bit like that but when his dad died he became more pessimistic." She explains before exhaling deeply once more. "I worry about him."

"So do I." I admit. It's odd to think that despite living in a full scale zombie apocalypse the main thing I'm concerned over is Simon and his poor outlook on life.

Not once did I believe that I'd fall in love. Well, I knew that I would one day since many people do but I never thought that it would happen in the middle of an apocalypse. One would believe that the main goal of living through this hell would be to survive and find salvation yet instead I've fallen in love. Not only have I just fallen in love but I've fallen in love with Simon. No offense to him but he is most likely the least loveable person on Earth yet I find myself constantly thinking about him. Honestly, I'll never understand the ways of the world.

"Earth to Danny." Honey snaps me from my thoughts and I blush slightly at her raised eyebrow knowing that she understands what I was thinking about.

"Sorry." I say quietly.

"Don't be. Simon needs someone to love him and who better?" She asks and I shrug as I ponder over everything in my head.

"Someone that understands him?" I suggest and she rolls her eyes.

"Such person doesn't exist." She states calmly before resting her head against the wall and laughing slightly.

"What?" I question curiously.

"Nothing. I'm just glad that you and Simon found one another." She states softly and I can't help but find myself agreeing with her entirely.