Chapter Fifteen

Simon didn't wake for twenty-four hours. I had spent that time by his side talking and singing so he wouldn't awake to silence. Honey and Val came to check on him and bring me food and despite having little appetite for it, I ate so I could be strong from Simon.

When he finally awoke, he was very dazed.

At first he was quiet and just staring but then after the adrenaline and numbness had worn off, the pain flooded back. I can't even possible imagen how losing a leg must feel but I inferred enough from his screams and groans of agony. Val had managed to locate some painkillers from a hospital but obviously, they were no where near strong enough.

We all took in turns cleaning the area in attempt to prevent bacteria from finding the wound but the way everything has been done, it's obvious that he'd get an infection.

"Listen to me Simon, you're going to be alright." I assure him as he groans, slipping from consciousness once again. I squeeze his hand and he weakly squeezes mine in return to show that he's still here.

That he's still fighting.

_________________________________________

As the days pass more problems begin to arouses. The first was keeping Simon's food down. Naturally, the pain made him feel nauseous yet without the consumption of food he'd die within days. We'd feed him only for the food to resurface within minutes leaving Simon coughing and vomiting.

The next issue was that after two days of this, he blatantly refused to eat.

"If I'm just going to vomit there's no point in giving it to me. Don't waste the rations on a dying boy." He was continuously saying despite our desperate pleas.

Honey and I were attempting everything we could while Val continued to disappear. They'd return from walks with arms filled with car parts and other intact pieces of technology.

"What are you doing with those?" I ask as they return from once again another scavenge their arms full of all sorts.

"You'll see." Is all they say like everyday when I ask. Then, like always, they disappear into the science laboratory and I can guarantee that that's the last we'll see of Val for the day.

With an exhausted exhale, I return to to the headteachers office where Honey sits beside Simon telling a story. As always, Simon is dazed from the pain yet Honey continues to ask questions on things she's been saying in order to keep him awake and vigilant. With a heavy heart I note the plate of stale bread and raven that reamins untouched by Simon to one side.

It obvious from the boys looks that he's lost too much weight. Naturally, we've all become underweight in the apocalypse but then adding what Simon's lost to that, I doubt he'll have long left if this continues.

"Simon, did I say that Minty was a warrior or a celric?" Honey questions as I sit against the wall and watch the exchange with a tight smile on my lips.

"Warrior." He states with slightly slurred speech. Honey nods with approval before continuing her wild story. I would inturput saying that her story is too dramatic and unbelievable yet after reading many synopsis's of the books Simon chooses to read, I'd say it's right up his street.

"Are you listening?" Honey demands snapping me from my daydream. I look over to find Honey leaning over Simon who now appears to be asleep. "Rude." She comments with a huff.

"He's hurting." I attempt to explain but she only shrugs before standing and looking over at me.

"Do you mind staying here? I was planning on hunting for dinner. Maybe I'll find a rabbit or raven or something." She states and I nod. She nods in return before exiting the room in her powerful way.

Sometimes I envy Honey and her holding such character. Throughout my life I've been labled as blank and boring but maybe there's nothing that can change that. Not even an apocalypse.

_________________________________________

Simon's chest rises and falls with a slight shudder as he sleeps. I take his clammy hand in mine so he knows that he's safe and that I love him.

"Danny..." He grumbles in obvious discomfort. His eyes flicker open and drift to where I sit, both watering with tears of pain and sorrow.

"I'm here." I assure him as I trace a soft circle around the back of his hand. He intakes a shuddering breath before exhaling and closing his eyes once more. At first I believe that he's falling back to sleep but then his eyes are open again and back on me.

"I'm sorry that I didn't fight." He whispers but I shake my head hating how he feels the one in the wrong.

"No, I'm sorry that I didn't listen." I tell him sternly. Simon and I were brought together in the roughest of situations and grew close quicker then others might. We've seen each other at our best and at our worst and while our relationship may never have been defined, I veiw him as my boyfriend.

"Why do you remain at my side?" He whispers yet I believe that he truly already knows the answer, he's just incapable of understanding it.

"Because I love you." I tell him with all the emotion the world has blessed me with.

"Even without being able to have sex?" It's a serious question yet I can't help but roll my eyes at it.

"Simon, I don't care about that, I care about you. If you never want to do stuff like that then you don't have to." I explain and he offers a weak smile in appreciation.

"My previous boyfriend didn't think that way. He said that maybe I would like it if I tried it." The thought of someone who claims to love Simon saying that to him enrages me and I can't help but feel thankful that they're most likely a rotting pile of bones now.

"What happened then?" I ask praying that it's not a horrific story like the ones heard on the news or social media.

"I left him." I never knew that three simple words could make me feel as proud as those ones did.

"I'll never force you Simon. This is a part of who you are. A part of how you're so beautiful." I tell him softly unable to fully explain the extent to how wonderful he makes me feel. Knowing that such an incredible boy sees me and cares about me makes me feel jovial.

"Am I beautiful? Even now I'm missing a leg?" He questions.

"Of course you are. You will forever be beautiful. Losing a limb doesn't effect who someone is or damage their beauty. It's a factor that couldn't be helped meaning that it should never be held against the person suffering with it." I explain and he offers me a weak smile.

"You really are as wise as you look." And then he's asleep without another word.