Chapter Nine

Simon was correct when he stated that we're just waiting to be rescued. Without sight of a cure or any other survivers, our situation is beginning to grow more and more hopeless. Our food is having to become more and more rashoned as shops begin to empty and with winter drawing nearer, it looks like we'll either strave to death or die of hypothermia.

I dunk my blades into a pan of boiling water to clean them of any black blood as I daydream about what would happen if we were finally rescued. I'd finally be able to create a memorial for Elizabeth, Bethany and Maggie along with my parents to allow myself that sense of closure. Afterwards, there would be a lot of readjusting to do. During this period of time, we've all seen things that will remain permanently engraved in out minds and will follow us to the grave. I doubt that we'll ever move on fully but at least the element of danger will be gone.

Today has been a funny day. Val and Honey appear to be getting on well which is a relief since the last thing we need is any sort of internal conflict. Simon on the other hand, has remained silent and spends the majority of his time distant from us.

I've never much liked the idea of traveling in the dark yet after searching the school, I can confirm that Simon is missing. While the undead had limited eyesight to begin with, the darkness of night reduces my vision leaving me to a disadvantage. Usually, I'd only leave the safety of the school building in the light of day but I refuse to abandon Simon.

After spotting a beam of tortch light atop a building I hurry towards the metal ladder leading upwards. I clasp the metal hissing through clenched teeth as the metal freezes my hands and leaves a metallic stench on my skin. I clamber upwards until I reach the frozen roof surface of the skyscraper type building. Simon is perched on the edge looking down at the midnight city.

"Can you actually see anything in this dark?" I question as I approach and sit beside him.

"No, but that's the point. I have zero interest in looking over a man-made sea of concrete." He states dryly and I nod slowly as I attempt to understand a single part of the boy beside me.

"You don't have a very high opinion of humankind, do you?" I decide to ask in attempt to learn a bit more about the boy I'm falling for.

"All humans have ever done is taken things from me. Why would I have a high oppion of them?" He holds a point. I assume that he's remembering Honey's father murdering his father judging by his bitter tone. I want to take his pain away yet how can I help him deal with his, when I can't even deal with my own.

"Don't you like Val?" I finally ask.

"They're alright."

"What's wrong then?"

"What do you think?" He looks at me with his piercing green eyes and for the first time, I truly believe that I see some sort of love within them. I've imaged it before through hopeful thinking and endless longing yet now, now I truly have proof that he feels for me what I feel for him.

"I don't need kissing to have a good relationship." I say in attempt to comfort him. All it does is make things worse though.

"Most don't understand. It's like there's this idea of what dating should be like and just because I don't want to kiss or have sex, people assuming I don't fit into it."

"I know."

"It's not a faze."

"I know."

"I'm not maturing slowly."

"I know."

"This is who I am."

"I know it is Simon and I don't want you to feel as though it's wrong."