Chapter Twelve

Rotting hands pound at the metal sides of the car sending a fresh wave of regret into me. I turn to Simon hoping that he'll have a plan yet he appears just has afraid. Maybe even more so.

After our beautiful moment on the roof, I decided to head back to the school, frighten that either of us may catch a chill. Within seconds of our landing on the street, we were surprisingly swarmed resulting in us having to find shelter inside a broken down car which is where we remain now.

"They're going to break through any moment now." Simon states, his voice trembling with fear. I watch as the swarm continues to grow in size until I finally form a plan. This plan may hold a very high number of faults yet I have no choice if I long for this plan to succeed.

"On the count of three, we leave the car and fight our way to safety." I explain earning a terrified expression from Simon.

"I don't have a weapon." He protests. I slip one of my spare knives from my belt loop and press it into his hands.

"Fight with this." I tell him.

"Danny I can't..."

"One..."

"The weapon... I can't..."

"Two..."

"Please... Please can we just...."

"Three!"

I throw the car door open and stab the knife hard into an undead gaping mouth damaging something resulting in its death. I slit another's throat and then force myself between two, narrowly avoiding their grabbing claws.

Stabbing my knife hard into an undead forehead, I burst through the crowd releif flooding through me, knowing that I lived.

And then I realise...

A shriek fills the air, sending my blood to ice and I turn to find Simon missing and the undead stumbling over one another in attempt to reach something. At first, I'm paralyzed with fear before realising that I'm Simon's only chance of survival. I can't run like I did with my parents or sisters. I can't turn my back on him too.

"STOP IT!" I scream in attempt to draw the undeads attention to me yet none of them turn away, too drawn in by the promise of fresh, panicking food. I slide a seconds knife from my belt loop and throw myself into the army.

Slashing throats and stabbing faces, I knock the vial monsters out with a rage and fear that I've never truly felt before. With my sister's and parents the fear outweighed any other emotion allowing me to run yet now, my rage at how nature is once against attempting to rip someone I love from me, enables me to fight for that person.

The last of the undead fall and finally, I'm able to race to the spot Simon lies, his body's trembling yet his eyes are closed. Blood ozzeses from a deep wound on his leg which was clearly made by a bite from the undead. I stare at the wound before shaking myself from my shock and pull Simon's trembling form into my arms.

"Simon... Simon, can you hear me?" I call out to him, praying that my voice will reach whatever dark world he's been trapped within.

"It... It got me..." He gasps, his voice drowning in pain and panic.

"Everything's going to be alright. I'm getting you back to the school and we'll figure it out then." I assure him as I stand and grasp him under his arms. Despite the way the ground scrapes him, I drag Simon towards a car we perviously established still holds it's keys and enough fuel for a single ten minute journey.

"No... When I... When I turn I'll... I'll infect you all..." He gasps as he attempts to shove me away. Already, his body is too weak to provide enough force to make me stumble so his gesture makes little difference. Tears run down his snowy pale skin, the ghostly colour causing his many freckles to stand out more.