10

As everyone filtered out of the room, the Wereking turned to his Roger. "You may be dismissed," he said. Roger looked at him. He scanned the remaining people at the table. The Wereking's close council were all that remained. Clearly, they were staying to discuss something.

"Son, you are also dismissed."

There was a period of silence before a slicing darkness pierced the light and Elijah stepped out into sight.

"Of course, father."

"And no more magic tonight. I haven given you grace because you are my son." He looked at his son, whose eyes were weathered like a farmer's hands. "If you open a portal tonight, I will have you executed at morning."

"Understood, father."

Roger gestured for Elijah to follow him out of the room. The two walked shoulder to shoulder to the door. They exited and Elijah closed the door behind them, casting one last wary glance into the room. He shut them into silence.

"Don't."

Elijah whirled to his uncle. "Why not?"

"You think your father is joking when he says he will have you executed?" Roger asked.

Elijah scoffed. "Of course not. He's come close. His new wife is young enough to give him another heir. But the point of our gift is to be unseen. He will never know."

"You are right. He will probably never know. But your life is not worth the gamble. What he is discussing in there will only bring more danger onto your head. The court is full of danger."

Elijah knew he was right. The usurper was a rare intrusion to life in the court. Even that was second to the Winged One showing up. Now, the two had fused together. Bitterness burned inside Elijah. He hated seeing Naomi with the usurper. He was playing with her, casting an image of himself for her that she wasn't trained enough to see through.

A faint smile played over Roger's face and he set a heavy hand on Elijah's. "I do not doubt your judgement."

Elijah nodded. "I know. But whatever my father is planning can't be good."

"Good for whom?"

"Anyone. The entire population. The usurper is a scoundrel, but my father is merciless. The usurper has brought something new, something dark out of my father. I don't like it."

Roger sighed. "Admittedly, you're intuition is spot on."

That perked Elijah's attention. "What is he planning?"

Roger shook his head. "Tomorrow. In the morning. Meet me in the library. We have a lot to discuss. Now, if you will excuse me, I have a meeting to spy on." With a soft squeeze of his shoulder, Roger disappeared into darkness. 

A faint smile fell over Elijah's lips.

Like uncle.

Like son.

When the king's brother and son had left, the council gathered close around the Wereking.They whispered among themselves for a few minutes before one finally directed his question toward the king.

"You called us about the Winged One, m'lord?"

"Only potentially," the king said lowly. "She is the marked and collateral of the usurper, so I cannot touch her. Nor can I command you to do anything. We can, however, speak in hypotheticals," he said airily. "What would I command if I discovered the Winged One was ripe for picking?"

The council nodded slowly, glancing at one another.

"If she were in my court and not with the usurper for a few hours, I would arrange for her to be taken somewhere. Somewhere private until this hypothetical usurper and I were to battle. Someplace deep in the mountains. Someplace wings have no use and her magic no benefit to him. I would treat her well, but carefully. Then, I would bring her back at the battle between the usurper and I."

"Take her back here?" one inquired.

The king nodded. "Hypothetically, of course. To fulfill the demands of the collateral."

"It is a shame you cannot command us to do such," another added.

"Truly," the king echoed. "It is a shame I cannot command you to organize her to be taken at the ball on Friday and returned Saturday evening. To leave the usurper crippled at the last second, with no time to formalize a complaint. If only," he said.

"It is a shame," one said. The others echoed the sentiment.

"Well, at that, I shall leave you," the Wereking said, leaving the council behind.

"Good night, my king," they echoed.

As the Wereking stepped out of the room, he shut the door firmly behind him.