20

"How do you feel about the chances?" the king asked, playing with a loose strand on his jacket.

"Chances of what?" Elijah asked warily.

"Survival," the Wereking said, smirking. "Should I lose, Damien will do all he can to destroy our line. You will die. Most assuredly."

"Like you have threatened to do countless times?" Elijah shot back casually. The king stopped playing with the loose thread and stared at his child.

"You are just like your mother. Sentimental," he said harshly. "She died of a soft heart, and so will you unless you claim your right to defend us."

Anger coursed through Elijah's veins. He kept it well hidden. He had hidden many things from his father.

"Did you kill the usurper's parents?" Elijah asked.

The Wereking sighed. "Pedantic. I have killed many in the interest of protecting our nation. Based on the usurper's tendencies, I have no doubt that they were enemies of the state."

So if his father had chosen another route, the challenge may have never been issued? Many many more usurpers would there be if a litany of murders followed this man wherever he went. "And death is the natural outcome? Will there ever any diplomacy? Any concern? A listening ear?" Elijah shot back. "Unlike you, Roger has always fought for hearing others that you've rejected outright. You've killed? Your own people? You've killed merely because their ideologies do not match you own?"

The king slammed his hand down on his chair. "Watch your tone, boy. My brother has played your childish game of 'father' for too long. He's coddled you. Yes, I have killed many in the name of our kingdom. And I will clean up the rest of the mess I have left once this usurper is gone. He has proved that there are many vestiges within my kingdom who have escaped my view. If they do not bow, they will die. If you are a man, you will defend my throne."

Elijah stared defiantly at the ground.

The king grabbed his chin and forced him to stare him in the eye. "It would do you well to remember who your real father is."

Elijah resisted every urge to fall back into the dark realm. He took a deep breath. "You're right. I would do well to remember that."

"Good. Sit at my table for lunch."

Elijah nodded.