38

"I'm going to rip his heart out," Elijah swore, pacing the room, rubbing his hand through his hair anxiously. His fingers flitted around the scab on his head, but he resisted the urge to rip it off. He wanted to cause destruction. He whirled on Roger. "Who the hell does that? She was his marked. Then he tried to kill her." He paced quickly. "Her ribs...her ribs were shattered. He was choking her slowly. If we came any later, she would be brain dead."

Roger took a deep breath for the two of them. "Will she be okay?"

Elijah shrugged nervously, rubbing his head again. "She used a dispersion spell and literally sent away the medical team. That obviously delayed treatment. I'm glad I caught her. They're evaluating her now." He whirled around at the wall. "I'm going to slit his throat."

Roger nodded. "She'll be okay," he assured Elijah. "She's tough."

Elijah whirled on him. "She shouldn't have to be!" he exclaimed. "She shouldn't have been in the castle. She shouldn't have been with Damien in the first place. I shouldn't have left her at Joshua! I should have found a way to rescue her after the fight. She shouldn't have—"

"You're blaming yourself for stuff that's out of your control," Roger said. "There is nothing you could have done. You're lucky you got out after the fight alive, let alone with someone else. Naomi was blaming herself for that baby's death. Falsely blaming herself. The last thing she needs is someone else blaming themselves needlessly."

Elijah paced.

"It's not right to reject responsibility. But it's also not right to accept responsibility that is not yours to take," Roger said.

Elijah took a deep breath and nodded. "What about my father?" he asked with pained eyes. "I killed him."

Roger shook his head and took a deep breath. "Damien killed him. You had nothing to do with that. You rescued Naomi from your father. Then Damien killed him. It's not your fault." Roger set a heavy hand on his shoulder. "Eli, whatever you do, I trust you. But know that none of this is your fault. If something is your fault, I will point it out," he said, patting Elijah shoulder.

Elijah didn't smile. "I should start planning a rescue for Naomi's friends."

Roger's hand on his shoulder grew heavier. "You should get some rest." Roger sighed. "Sleep. You're exhausted."

Everything within Elijah told him not to do that. He swallowed his pride and nodded. He was exhausted. "You're right." She'll be okay. She'll be okay. She'll be okay.

He was furious at himself. He was pissed at Damien. But mostly, he was worried. Worried she wouldn't pull through. Worried that she was gone.

She'll be okay.

"You will let me know the moment she wakes up? I don't care if it is in five minutes. You'll get me immediately?" Elijah asked. Roger nodded.

"Of course," Roger said, pulling the young man with him. "Naomi is going to be fine. She needs rest, just like you. She's tough."

+++++++++++++++++++++

Damien swore loudly as he blasted light in the throne room. It leaked through the entire house like water, thrashing about to find the nearest escape. Ironside and other fell at his feet.

"Where is she?" Damien asked.

Ironside collapsed at his feet and reached to his Wereking's ankles. "Master, the Illegitimate took her. He cast us all into his dark realm." It was a sight to see—the bulky and intimidating man that Ironside was begging for mercy at the feet of Damien.

Damien swore loudly again, casting a bolt of light at the back of the room, scorching the wooden trophy he made for his belove to stand on. She was there, beautiful, doting, and wild, just a few hours ago. Now, she was gone.

He looked down at his glowing hands. The elemental power was so close.

But, yet again, she was the key. She was the one who could transfer the elementals power to him. Yet, she had been kidnapped. By none other than the slimeball, illegitimate son. He didn't even want to utter his name.

Rage cut through him like a knife. She was the only one who made his world make sense. He could only see the world rightly through her eyes.

"It is no worry. She will return. The dead child should be incentive enough."

Ironside nodded, head still at his master's feet.