11

Monday mornings are notoriously the worst. This one was no different. I woke up, disoriented as an alarm sounded. I could see someone standing in the bathroom with the light on, sending warm golden rays onto my face. Damien was brushing his teeth, an act that profoundly humanized him.

I pushed the covers off me, and he glanced in my direction.

"You are up early, dove," he muttered through the foam in his mouth. "You should rest."

I shook my head and pulled a sweatshirt on. He pulled his phone out of his pocket.

"I will have my gammas meet you in half an hour, if that is enough time," Damien said.

I stepped into the bathroom, heart pounding at how intimate brushing our teeth in the same room felt. "Actually," I said, smearing toothpaste on the brush, "I am meeting with Roger this morning."

"Roger?"

I nodded. "The Wereking said he could help me control the old magic."

Damien whirled on me. He opened his mouth to speak, but then quickly spit the foam out of his mouth. He washed out his mouth lightning quick. Then, he slowly and methodically wiped his mouth with a towel. "And why, dove, did you not ask me?" he asked, staring at me intently, scrutinizing.

My heart began to pound. Maybe this was a dumb plan.

"You're busy," I said.

"What brought this on?" he asked, stepping closer. I backed up against the wall, toothbrush still in hand.

You did nothing wrong. You did nothing wrong. Don't act like you did anything wrong because you didn't.

"U-uh," I stammered guiltily.

Nailed it.

"Naomi, what are you hiding from me?"

A pounding headache hit me suddenly. I winced. I wasn't doing anything wrong; I was looking for information. Yet, if I was just looking for information, why was I going behind Damien's back? Now, I couldn't even convince myself that I hadn't done anything wrong. "I had some magic when I was flying."

"Magic?" he asked skeptically.

"Yeah. It was dancing on my fingertips. I was scared," I said carefully. I wasn't lying, but I wasn't being totally honest with why I was scared. "I don't want to do something wrong and end up hurting someone. Anyone."

He leaned in and brushed a finger against my forehead. Suddenly, the headache was swept away. I shook my head.

"What was that, Damien?"

"An honesty spell," he said simply.

Anger tore through me. "Damien!" I said sharply, brandishing my toothbrush. "What happened to no manipulation?"

"Telling lies is manipulation," he defended. "Why did you go behind my back?"

"I went behind your back because I can't trust you. Because you insist on pulling crap like this even after you promise not to!"

"Honesty spells are not manipulative."

"Fine, cast one on yourself! I have some questions I'd like answered," I returned quickly. He hesitated. "Why the pause, Damien? What are you hiding? I already gave my answer!"

"I don't have time for your games," he said aggressively, pushing me against the wall with his forearm against my throat.

I gasped in shock.

His eyes burned black. "You are mine. And mine only. You have no damn right to set up a secret meeting with the enemy without my knowing. Fine," he said slowly. "Meet with Roger. The second you are done, you will be with me the rest of the day. By my side. Constantly. Don't. Play. With. Me." he said, leaning in. Black dots dance in front of my face.

Suddenly, he blinked a few times and leaned back, relieving the pressure on my throat. I gasped for air, raising my hand to my throat. I was shaking. Hard.

"I'm so sorry, Naomi," he said suddenly.

He shook his head frantically and stepped toward me as if to pull me in to a hug, but I lurched backward, almost tumbling to the bathtub.

"I'm sorry," he said slowly. "There is so much pressure on this week. I could be dead on Saturday. I just...I just need to know you're safe. I will see you after you're done with Roger. Please. Be safe." he ended simply. He sighed and left the room. He grabbed a backpack and left, closing the door securely.

I breathed shakily, looking in the mirror to examine my neck. It was red, but I doubted it would leave a mark. Just brush your teeth. Finish getting ready. Then move on.

I went to grab my toothbrush and noticed it was gone.

Suddenly, the past five minutes swept over me.

What just happened.

Damien just threatened me.

"She is mine to dowith as I please. I made the Alpha's Claim."

Damien had just attacked me. What in the world just happened?

And on top of all that crap, now I couldn't find my toothbrush.

I looked down. My toothbrush was still in my hand.

I took a shaky breath and went to the window in the main bedroom. I looked out to see the forest below as I took a deep breath and stuck the toothbrush into my mouth. Be with the trees. Be with the trees.

Be with the trees.