41

"I'd like her moved into my room tonight," Elijah said curtly. "She and I have already spoken and she agreed."

The nurse nodded. "Would you like me to have someone bring another bed in as well?"

Elijah nodded. "Please."

It had been three days. With her advanced healing, her body was back to brand new.

Her mind? She had a lot of healing left to go. Nightmares had gripped her every night. She refused to talk about them. He realized how little he knew about her beyond these past few weeks. He knew she was originally from Redwood and had been subject to a Hunt. She had fallen into the hands of Leviathan and then Damien marked her. He manipulated her into believing he loved her and then the Wereking tried to drain her magic. Then, Damien, who said that he loved her, tortured her because she wouldn't have sex with him.

And she used to work in a kitchen.

And they were mates. Not anymore.

Frustration coursed through him every time he thought about when he left her with Berry after rescuing her from Leviathan. He thought he had more time. More time to talk and come back. He wanted to take her away. Instead, he lost her then.

And now, he had lost almost everything. His father. His throne. His mate.

He took a deep breath. All was not lost.

Naomi had agreed to let him protect her. Elijah was a man of his word; she would be safe.

Naomi had a horrible tendency to bring herself into danger to help others. It was selflessness, but it wasn't wise. She needed someone to balance her. Her selflessness was something Damien exploited numerous times. He was behind her capture with the Eyeless. He was keeping her to resurrect Leviathan. Or to get as close as possible until he became king. Now he was using a child's death to guilt her into coming back to him.

Pathetic. The thought of Damien made his blood boil. His siblings had believed that the Old Magic corrupted him, but they had come to realize that he was corrupt even before dabbling in the Old Magic. He parents' death had broken something in him.

Naomi's situation made her moralize everything, turning the simplest decision into a battle between good and evil. Damien's situation made him demonize everyone, turning the simplest decision into a battle between him and the world. They were very similar.

Elijah shook his head. Naomi felt all the regret that Damien deserved to feel. It was an unbearable burden for her.

He wished they were still mates. He could have helped her carry that burden.

Not being mates didn't mean he couldn't be a friend. Honestly, that is what she needs. A secret part of him wanted Naomi not to go to Namibia. He wanted her close. Another part wanted her as far away as possible from the war that Damien had started. Surely Damien wouldn't invest all his efforts into finding his lost, marked Elemental.

Logically, he would find away to steal the Elemental power from the light elemental and consolidate his power.

Logic may have been the furthest from Damien's mind.

+++++++++++++++++++++

"She's being tortured," Damien decided, sitting on his throne. "There is no other explanation. She knows I need her. She knows I love her. She knows that I will kill Berry and Eric if she does not come back." Damien looked at Ironside, who stood at his shoulder. "There is no other explanation. She is being held against her will and tortured by the Illegitimate. Ironside, please prepare a room. When I catch him, I will slowly torture him and kill him. Once Naomi sees how much I care, she will come to the realization that it was me all along."

Thomas's heart was pounding. He had seen his alpha do unspeakable things to protect his pack and consolidate power. This was different. This was insane. He was obsessed. He was dedicated to serving as a spy, but he didn't know how much longer he would be able to pretend.

"My lord, how will she know that you will kill Eric and Berry? Didn't the betrayers flee the Tuesday of your week of preparation?" Thomas asked. He bowed is head in deference.

Damien sighed loudly. "To her, they are still here. I cast a vision of her friend's child the night before the fight. She believes that Berry had her child and that her kidnapping forced the child's death." Thomas did everything he could to remain still. "She should know that if she does not escape, that will lead to more death."

Ironside set a hand on his king's shoulder. The entire room with black and white tiles glowed horribly bright. "My king, we will do all we can to rescue her."

Damien sighed. "I expect nothing less," he said seriously, staring at Ironside. "But,I will be heading up this task myself. I committed a grave sin by allowing her to choose when we solidified our relationship. I should have known." Damien's voice went deeper and he growled in anger. "She is far too precious to have left her unanchored. I must take responsibility for not making her mine sooner." His fist slammed down on the concrete armrest of the throne and it crumpled beneath his hand.

Damien took a deep breath.

"Thomas?"

"Yes, my lord?"

"I would like you to have a glass ball made. Seven feet in diameter. Hollow, with an accessible, but lockable hatch. I would like it hung above my throne."

Thomas nodded. "Of course, Wereking."

Damien looked up, seemingly content with his idea. "She is being tortured," Damien said, as if reminding everyone in the room. "We will find her. And soon. I can almost feel her pain now."