49

Just because I wasn't going with them didn't mean I didn't have a role to play. I was not going to twiddle my thumbs, as much fun as that actually was.

If you really want to be involved, we will need people monitoring communications.

So here I was.

When I volunteered, I didn't quite realize what I had signed up for. I could hear everything that happened, but I was wholly powerless to stop it. If something happened to Elijah. Now that we were more than friends.

"Unit 3 to Dispatch. We're about ten mikes out," the radio crackled.

"Ten-four," the woman replied, holding a button down. She clacked on the computer.

"Unit 1 to Dispatch," I heard. That was Elijah's unit. My heart perked up. "Any movement on the borders back there?"

"Negative," she replied.

"Ten-four."

Every so often, Unit 1 made sure that no one was approaching Redwood. I looked around at the scores of werewolves hanging about. Elijah had drilled in my head that if any alarm went off—If you hear any alarm, or you hear me over the radio saying that anyone is headed toward Redwood, please go to the shelter under the elevator. I switched the code. 9721. That will get you in and out.

9721. I might as well get it tattooed on my hand. I guess that would ruin the security of it.

I couldn't help but wonder if some of Elijah's insistence that I work in communications was that if he told me go to the shelter, I couldn't not hear him. Elijah also had Reid stay back as my bodyguard. I would have complained, but Eric insisted that Berry have one, too.

There was too much to lose if Damien got a hold of one of us.

My knee was bouncing frantically. I wanted so badly for all of this to be over. For Damien to be arrested and turned over to the Council. Most of the guns we laid out the day before were tranquilizers, I discovered. They were planning to drug him up so bad, he couldn't open his eyes until he was deep in the Council's land in Asia.

I had no problem with that.

I had no problem until I thought of Thomas. Then, I was consumed with thoughts of bringing a bulleted gun and getting revenge. Freeing the world of the maniac who had no regard for human life.

I wasn't a murderer, I told myself.

I felt better telling myself that.

But hadn't I killed Thomas by association?

"Unit 2 to Dispatch. We are at the property. Waiting for Unit 1's command."

"Ten-four."

My heart was pounding. What if Damien wasn't there? What if Damien knew this was happening? What if he escape? What if—my heart stopped.

What if Elijah died?

I felt a hand on my arm and looked up to see Reid staring at me nervously. "Why don't we get some air, Naomi?"

I nodded and stood up. I looked at the dispatcher to check, but she nodded and waved me away. I wasn't doing anything anyway.

I headed to the door and Reid followed me out.

"How is your family, Reid?" I asked. I needed a distraction. Anything.

"They're good," he said. He sat down on one of the outside patio chairs and gestured for me to follow. I sat down.

"Any plans for the holidays?" I asked.

Reid laughed, catching on. "Yes. We have family in Minnesota that the kids haven't seen in a couple years. We're doing my family for Thanksgiving and my wife's family for Christmas."

I nodded. "Tell me more," I said unabashedly.

"Um... we are currently trying to figure out when we can start decorating for Christmas. If my wife had the choice, she would have the tree up in mid-August. I am a firm after-Thanksgiving person."

"If it's a Christmas tree, wouldn't you put it up a few days before Christmas?" I asked, confused.

Reid laughed. "Well, there are some with your opinion. The problem is that it's such a pain to put up. It feels like a shame to only have it up for a few days. The holiday used to last twelve days, but we usually just do one day. Personally—"

Suddenly, his phone buzzed. He pulled it out and looked down in confusion, then urgency. He looked over the horizon. He jumped up and grabbed my arm quickly.

"Naomi, we're going to the—"

Suddenly, Eric was in front of me, an older man at his side. The man had pure white hair and yellow eyes that were almost glowing.

"Come with us," the old man said, and Reid suddenly stepped back, eyes blinking frantically.

Eric grabbed my arm and suddenly, we teleported to the throne room.

In the Wereking's castle.

The last place I wanted to be.