Chapter 16

I am awoken by Chase turning the light on. It was a long time before he came back. The room does not have any windows or a clock, so I have no idea how long I have been here, but shaking in the dark from Chase frying me like a barbeque and me freezing my ass off made the time pass by rather slowly.

Chase unties my wrists, and I go to sit up before immediately laying back down again. I almost forgot about the pain on the side of my stomach, but of course, that slight movement refreshed my memory really quickly.

Chase finishes untying me before scooping me up and carrying me out of the room. He brings me into a bathroom and sits me on a chair by the vanity. He rummages through some cabinets before pulling out a couple of creams and bandages. He wipes the sore on my stomach, and I hiss in pain. He moves on and rubs one of the creams on. I shudder and flinch at his direct contact on my skin, but the cream provided a refreshing cooling sensation. He then added a bandage before doing the same thing to the mark that he left on my neck.

He picks me up once more and brings me into our bedroom. He lays me in the bed and turns the light off before he leaves. I glance around and notice that it is dark outside. I turn and look at a clock on the wall and see that it is 12:30 am. The sleep I just got was not great, so I fell asleep quickly, sinking into the bed and pulling the covers as high as they would go.

---

The following day I showered and got dressed before going downstairs to eat. I'm not sure how long I have been out, but I know I have not eaten for at least a day. Chase was not in the bedroom, and I expected him to be down here, but he was nowhere to be seen.

I eat before retreating to the library, where I plan to spend my time today. Usually, I would want to go outside by the pool on a beautiful day like this, but I don't think that would be great for my skin in the state that it is in.

I found a cozy corner and a book I am able to get lost in. I glance up as the room darkens and realize that the sun is setting. Have I really been reading that long? My stomach growls, and I decide I could probably get myself some dinner.

I enter the kitchen and see a maid serving up a plate. It looks like I'm just in time. She hands the plate to me, but I notice there is not another one.

"Where's Chase?" I ask.

"I'm not sure, ma'am. He just told me he wouldn't be home." The maid responds.

I nod and sit down to eat.

---

I crawl into bed to go to sleep, and Chase has still not returned. It's kind of nice, honestly, but although I don't really like Chase, I miss human interaction. The only person I have talked to today was the short conversation with the maid.

I fall asleep but am woken up a couple of hours later from the bathroom light shining on my face. I drag myself out of bed to turn the light off but notice Chase sitting on the edge of the bathtub. He's holding the front of his stomach and hunched over.

"Chase?"

He glances up at me.

"Go back to sleep Lex."

I turn to leave but hear him groan, so I stop myself. I walk back in and notice the blood seeping through his shirt.

"Omg, Chase!"

I rush over and remove his hand. There is a giant gash present that is spilling blood. I grab a towel from the rack and press it to the wound.

"Lex, you don't have to do this."

I don't respond. While I don't really care about him, I don't want him to die.

"Can you take your shirt off?"

"Moving a little fast, aren't we?" He smirks before doing as I say.

I roll my eyes before grabbing some gauze and tape. I continue applying pressure until the bleeding slows down. I wipe it clean before taping the gauze to the wound. He looks down at me and smiles.

"Thanks."

I stand and wash my hands.

"Do you hate me?" He asks.

I think before responding.

"I don't hate you, but I don't like you."

"What can I do to make you like me?"

"I'm not sure. I mean, I did at one point before this whole mess."

"You must care for me at least a little since you just helped me."

"I did care about you, but I don't like the person you've become, or maybe your true self."

He sighs and stands. I didn't notice before, but damn. This man has abs. He starts to peel off his gauze, and I rush over.

"What are you doing? I just put that on there."

"I need to shower unless you want me to crawl in bed in this state."

A shower would be a good idea. There was dirt, dried blood, and who knows what else all over.

"What happened anyway? I'm assuming you did not do that to yourself, and you have been gone all day."

"Just some business."

"Business?" I question and cross my arms.

"Yeah, you know. Just something to pay the bills. Nothing to worry your pretty little head about."

I step halfway out the door when he stops me.

"You-uh. You want to join me?" He says and tilts his head towards the shower.

I laugh.

"I'm going back to bed."

I crawl back into bed but am left with an uneasy feeling. I feel the 'C' scar left on my neck. It's weird how quickly Chase can switch up. What business would make Chase stay out till three in the morning and come back with a severe injury? I eventually drift off to sleep with these lovely thoughts on my mind.