Chapter 18

So far today, we visited the Statue of Liberty and had lunch at the Capital Grille. We're about to go shopping with Adam, Sean, and Jason with their girls. It was refreshing to interact with other people, especially having girlfriends to shop with and an unlimited credit card. The boys have been following us from store to store but are starting to get tired. They found a spot to sit, and Chase gave me his card so us girls could continue. Honestly, I'm not sure how much I can carry, but it has been fun to spoil myself. Too bad I won't be able to take the stuff with me. 

We stop by the penthouse to drop everything off before getting ready for dinner. I have a small bag packed and ready to go. I plan to escape at the restaurant, come back here, grab my bag, and then take off. I still have Chase's card, so I shouldn't have to worry about money. 

I'm wearing a stunning dark red velvet gown that goes to the floor and has a slit up the right side. I paired it with a pair of simple black heels and a diamond necklace to match my ring. I left my hair down and did a simple makeup look. I have not looked this good in a long time, and I hope my beauty can cloud Chase's head, and he won't think straight.

"Lex, it's time to go!" He calls from the first floor.

I descend the stairs, and Chase is fixing his cufflinks on his suit. He looks up, and we lock eyes. He looks incredibly handsome. Damn. 

"Wow, you look amazing." He says.

I blush.

"You don't look too bad yourself," I respond. 

We link arms and head out. 

---

The meal is almost over, and I am worried that Chase will realize that his card is gone when the bill comes. The restaurant is located on the top floor, so I will have to take an elevator down. I excuse myself to the bathroom, and Chase gives me a look that tells me to behave. 

Of course I'm not going to. 

The elevator ride feels like an eternity, but I reach the ground floor and rush out of the building. Chase's penthouse is only a couple of blocks away, so I kick off my heels and rush that way. New York City's sidewalks are absolutely disgusting, but I can worry about that later. 

I reach the penthouse and head up. Chase had already put my fingerprint in the system so that I could get in with ease. At this point, I know Chase will be looking for me, but I am hoping he thinks that the penthouse is the last place I will go. I rush upstairs and change into sweats and a hoodie to try and hide my identity. I put on a pair of sunglasses and slip on some sneakers while rushing back out the door with my backpack. 

I enter the elevator and take some deep breaths. I start having some second thoughts. If I get caught, it will be really bad. The elevator dings and the doors begin to open. I pray that Chase is not there waiting for me, but I stick my head out and don't see anyone. I exit the building and start walking again. I blend in with the crowd and walk in the opposite direction of the restaurant. I found an ATM and withdrew $5000 with Chase's card. That should be plenty of cash, and that way, it will be harder for Chase to track me. 

I get into a taxi and head to the airport. I get on the soonest flight possible, which is going to Indiana. It's on the way to Colorado, and at least Chase and I will no longer be in the same state.

---

I land in Indiana, and there is a flight to Colorado, but it's in two hours. It makes me a little nervous being in one spot for so long, but it's getting late, so it is really my only option. I head to the bathroom and change into another pair of sweats and a hoodie but in a different color. I also put my hair into a ponytail and added some red lipstick. 

I anxiously wait in the terminal with nothing to do except think. When I get to Colorado, I will have to rent a car to make the 2-hour journey to my family's home, and I probably won't get there till early tomorrow morning. The thought of seeing my family again was the only thing keeping me going. 

I find a bachelorette party traveling to Las Vegas and give them Chase's card with explicit instructions to only use it in Vegas. Hopefully, that will help throw him off my trail. 

---

I have arrived in Colorado and tried to rent a car, but I don't have my license, so I'm not able to.  I find a bus that will take me half of the way, and I can figure the rest of the way later. I choose an aisle seat in the middle of the bus and take a quick nap. I wake up to my stomach growling. I really should have packed some snacks. I get off at the station and pop into a gas station to get some water and trail mix. It wasn't great, but it did the trick. I use the bathroom and wash my face before getting a cab to my old home. 

The car pulls down my street, and my heart is beating so fast I am so excited. I get to see my family and got away from Chase. I can't believe my plan worked. I thank the driver and grab my bag and run to the door. I knock a couple of times and ring the doorbell impatiently. 

My dad opens the door, and I immediately wrap my arms around him. 

"Alexa! Where have you been?"

I start to cry into his shoulder and hug him tighter. I feel a tap on my shoulder and turn to see my mom with tears in her eyes. I hug her next, and she kisses me on the cheek. 

We sit at the kitchen table, and my mom hands me a cup of coffee. I explain everything to them. Where I have been, who I have been with, and what has happened. My mom looked down at my hand and forgot I was still wearing my wedding ring. I take it off and set it down on the table. She reaches and grabs my hand, giving it a slight squeeze. 

We've been talking for hours, and I am so glad I was able to see him. After dinner, we decide to head to the police station to file a report. I'm worried that there won't be enough evidence. I know we are married, but I don't know how legal it was. I also have to figure out what to do with my life. As much as I love them, I don't want to live with my parents forever. 

We're doing the dishes when there is a knock at the door. My dad answers it, and I hear a loud thump. My mom and I go to see what happened, and he is lying on the ground. I rush over to him, but blood gushes from his head. I scream and look up and meet eyes with Chase. I turn white and start to shake. My mom looks at me before Chase raises a gun and points it at her. 

"Chase! Stop!" I scream as loud as I can. 

I go up to him and try to remove the gun from his hand. We wrestle around for a bit before he knocks my feet out from under me, and I fall onto the ground. He fires the gun, and I watch my mom fall. I try to run to her, but Chase holds me back despite my cries. He snaps, and men come in and remove the bodies.

"Pack it up, sweetheart. We're leaving." Chase says, his voice stern. 

I don't move, so he pushes me. I stumble but freeze again. I can't believe that just happened. He truly is a monster.