Chapter 15: New beginnings

A month passed since Alice had started her job as a soldier. It wasn't as bad as she thought. She made a good relationship with some of the other soldiers, and even met Sam again. She hadn't noticed that he was also a half-blood. Alice felt less alone with there being more half-bloods, rather than just her and her sister. Alice also knew the building better. She could memorize her bed locations, and she knew where all the rooms were. Alice had just dropped her siblings off in the playroom when Mr. Jenkin and Jake stood tall in front of her.

"Is there something you guys need?"

"Yeah, it's urgent."

Roman and Lizzy were in the playroom. They each were watching Peppa Pig on the tv, while mumbling to each other, and kicking toys around. Other children wandered around the rooms, chatted, played with toys, for once, the kids had some peace. They had grown though, they were less vulnerable, and more aware of their surroundings. That incident changed them. But was it for the better?

"What's going on? Was there another wave?"

Alice asked, as they jogged down the hallway.

"No, it's something else, worse actually."

Jake replied to her. They made it to the 2nd lab, and Alice sat on a bright blue chair.

"Alice, you've learnt a lot about the infected throughout these days, we helped you learn about it." Alice looked at them, confused. Mr. Jenkin was looking at his computer, then he glanced at her. Jake did as well. "And now, you're going to have to help us."

"What do you mean, 'help us'?" Alice asked cautiously.

"You are a half-blood. Like Sam. You both are going to have to go through tests, needles, and studying. But don't worry, those things won't hurt you." Mr. Jenkin replied.

"Alright, but why is this so urgent? You've had to study me before. We're just adding needles."

Alice asked again.

"The reason is because we don't have much time. You're at risk, not from the tests, but because soon, you're going to go through a new stage. An upgrade is what you could call it. Every once in a while, the infected go through a stage process, this makes them stronger, and smarter. With you being a half-blood, the impact of the change will unleash your other eye, and you won't be able to control yourself for a day before you go back to normal. When this does occur, we'll have to lock you in the basement for the day. I know it sounds scary at first, but you won't remember anything. But anyway, the reason we have limited time to work with you is because when you go through this stage, your DNA will change, and our research would be pointless because the infection will have changed."

"I guess that that's ok. When does this even start? A month or something?" Alice asked, slightly more confused and worried than before. However, her face changed severely with the next response.

"2 days,"