Chapter 18: Trusts You The Most

Look out for the <>!!!

That night I sat on the couch, listening to music, passing time, hoping sleepiness would come. Dad and mom had already called it a night, leaving me downstairs alone in the dark of night.

Just as I was about to watch a YouTube video, the screen lit up with an incoming call from Tad. I answered it almost instantly, wondering why he would call at 11 at night. "Hello?"

"Hey, Nora, are you free?" Tad's voice rang out.

I frowned, wanting nothing to do with going out at this late hour. I braced myself to tell him no. But stopped when something in his voice told me that this was important. "Sure, what's up?"

"Everett, he's pretty messed up. Can you come? He's only asking for you."

The memories of this morning came back into my mind. We fought and I left him on the street. How could he ask for my help? Unless this was just a play to get me to the party...

My mind went a million miles an hour as I stood up from the couch, dropping the blanket to the ground. "Are you sure?" I asked, just to make sure.

"Hell, Nora, I wouldn't make this up."

I nodded as I slipped my shoes on. 

"I'll text you the address."

"I'll be there in ten."

"Ok, I'll see you then."

In a matter of minutes, I arrived at house close to campus. 

I sat in my car for a moment as my face twisted up, watching people laugh in the front yard. If this was just a joke, I would quit being the intern, convinced that these boys would be the death of me.

As I got out of the car, I spotted Tad, who sat on the front porch with an almost unrecognizable bloodied Everett. The sight caused my breath to catch in my throat as I walked up to them. "Hey."

Tad looked up from his phone and got up from the porch. "You came quick."

"I told you I would." My eyes drifted to the blood running down the side of Everett's face and a split lip didn't help anything, either. I had so many questions, but figured this wasn't the time for them. 

"He's only been asking for you."

"Are you ok?" I asked Everett as I placed my hand on his shoulder.

He nodded silently as he stared at the ground, refusing to make eye contact.

I turned to Tad and Elle as I tried to get more information from them. It was 11 at night, nothing should happen at this time. So what did Everett do to get in the shape he was in? "What happened to him?"

"Charles came to the party, and they fought," Tad said with a frown. "I broke it up just in time."

I sighed as I looked over at Everett again. "How drunk is he?"

Tad shrugged. "I'm not sure. Maybe a little."

"Ok," I said as I closed the gap between Everett and I. Softly, I place my hand on his shoulder, causing him to look at me. "Ok, Everett, I am here. Where do you want to go?"

"Home."

"I just sent you his address," Tad said as I helped Everett up from the porch.

My phone buzzed signaling the text Tad just sent that held the address. "I'll see you guys later."

As Everett got into my passenger side of the car, Tad pulled me aside with concern.

"Thanks for doing this, Nora. He's been hard to talk to since I broke up the fight, but he hasn't stopped asking for you."