Chapter 36: Never Be The Same

That next Sunday came quickly. The article was released as promise but neither Everett and I read it. We both knew what it would say. Instead, we fled the city and headed to Newark where we had spent the whole day with Dale. I asked Everett if he wanted to do anything else and he had nothing else he wanted. He said that this was the place he could disconnect and since his father didn't read the newspaper, he knew it would be safe. 

I hadn't talked to dad very little since the practice a few days ago. I had not returned to practice either. I was a woman of my word, and I did quit. I was done. Working in that environment was too much. It was not worth my mental health to deal with that. And if dad was going to be kissing the behinds of the university leadership, I was not interested in being a part of it. 

It was honestly freeing to not go to practice every day. I could actually focus on school and have free time. Whenever Everett wasn't practicing, we would spend time together, but emotions were high since the only thing we could think about was the article. 

"And look at that! It's snowing, in November? It's going to be a cold one this year," Dale said as he looked out the window of his small farmhouse. 

"Why look at that. It is snowing," I said as I looked out the window beside him. 

For a moment we looked out the window and watched the snow come down like feathers. It wasn't until Dale's phone alarm broke us from the scene. 

"Ah, well, that's it. Pizza is done. I'll get it," Dale said as he got up from his chair and walked into the kitchen. 

I turned my attention to Everett who stared out the window. He had been so silent today. I thought he would at least say something relating to the article. But as his silence wore on, I couldn't help but think that he was regretting the article. 

"Are you okay?" I asked.

He nodded. "I'm fine. I thought leaving my phone at home was a safe move, but it is only driving me crazy now."

"I think my phone is in the car. Want to see it?"

Everett shook his head as he rested his back against the chair, he said in. "Nah. I'll just find out everything when I return tonight." 

"If you change your mind, let me know. I'll get that phone."

He chuckled as his father walked back into the room wearing a frown. 

He looked at me then at Everett in silence. With his phone in his hand, he cleared his throat. "You are involved in a smear article against your own team?" 

Everett's eyes glanced at me before turning his attention to his dad. "Yeah. I did."

"Why?"

There was such pain in his voice. It made me want to speak up, but something told me I should remain silent. This was Everett's chance to defend himself. It was his time to finally be honest with his father.

Everett shook his head as his body turned ridged as he prepared for a fight. "Football has done nothing good for me recently. There are terrible people on the team that needed to be exposed."

"But what does this mean for you?"

"I don't care," Everett said with a shrug as he tried to keep his voice level.

"You don't care? What do you mean? What about your dreams? You looked so hard and now the pro teams will think twice. You shouldn't have rocked the boat. That is not what good players do," Dale asked as his voice rose.

"No, that is what spinless players do. And going pro was never my dream. It was yours."

"You can't be serious," Dale yelled. Suddenly the relaxing day was turned into something stressful.