Chapter 33: They Dated

"Ok, home game match is tomorrow. I want a basic practice today," dad said to the group of men standing in the locker room a few days later. "Nora, have any words to say to this group before they get out there?"

I shook my head as I looked around at the boys. My eyes lingered on Charles as he smirked at me, making my skin crawl. Rick wrapped his arm around Charles as he whispered something into his ear. The small crowd around Charles confirmed that he already was gathering a posy. He was taking control and soon Charles would be up to his same issues as before. 

The thought caused me to kick the floor. With every day Charles was here, it caused me to hate my time here. He made me not want to come back. He made me want to run. I wondered how many other people felt the same way. 

"Ok, that's all. Get on that field and start warm up," dad said as he clapped his hands. 

As the crowd left the room, I turned to dad with a frown. "Is Charles playing in the game?" 

"I don't know. It depends on what the university wants." 

"So that will be a yes." 

"Nora...." he sighed. 

"Dad, I know your hands are tied, but he is a terrible person. Can't you feel it? The whole team has changed with his coming," I said as I rose my voice at him.

"Nora, don't you dare start with me," dad said as he rose his voice back, causing me to step back. "You are just an intern. Remember your place." 

I couldn't help it as tears welled in my eyes. He had been impossible to talk to these last few days. It was as if he didn't want to know how Charles was changing the team. Maybe it was because Charles was changing him too. Every time I had brought up the subject of Charles, dad quickly shot it down. This was the first time he rose his voice at me which caught me off guard. 

As I wiped my eyes, I stood up a little taller. I would not take that tone. "My place? I am the coach's daughter. I am more than an intern."

Breaking us from our moment was when a throat cleared. "Um, coach, I wanted to mention that my father would come to practice today," Everett said from the door frame.

My eyes darted to his, wondering how much he heard from the conversation. He wore a concerned expression which told me he heard enough. Quickly, I wiped my nose and cleared my throat. 

"Thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to give him a great welcome and Nora will be sure to give him a tour. She needs a break from practice anyhow," dad said to Everett.

I glared at dad, although he didn't look back at me. I knew he was just a prisoner to the University, but he could at least try to make this situation easier instead of bowing down to whatever the University said. "Yeah, I can give him a tour."

With that, dad left the room, leaving Everett and I alone.

In the privacy of the room, Everett wrapped his arm around me. "I really don't know what I would do without you."

I smiled as I leaned into him, soaking up the embrace. 

"I set up the interview with the news paper for tomorrow, after the game. Do you want to come?"

"Of course I do." 

"Good. I want you there," he said as he let go of me and pulled his phone out of his pocket. "Dad's here."

"We should see him then."

"I guess so."

I followed Everett to the main entrance of the Shoe and waved as I saw Everett's father standing on the other side of the gate. He wore all Ohio State gear from his pants to his sweater. There was a large grin on his face as if he couldn't contain his excitement.