Chapter 32: Run the article

The next day, I rubbed my hands which still had dirt on them. Black soil still clung under my finger tips as if their life depended on it. As I picked at my nails, my mind drifted back to my time on the farm. There was something so relaxing about it but yet my body was still sore from the work I did. Everett's father was nice but yet Everett wanted nothing to do with him which forced me to be friendly. Between the glances and obviously inside jokes, his dad wanted to talk to Everett but he seemed to shut it down every time.

"So Nora, what happened yesterday? You got home late," dad asked as we drove to practice.

"Nothing much, just worked on his dad's farm for the day," I shrugged as the Shoe came closer into view.

"He doesn't really talk much about his old man. What's he like?"

"Friendly. And a die hard OSU football fan."

"And I've never met him? Now what kind of blasphemy is that? Such a shame!"

As cheery as dad was, there were things he would never pick up. Everett never brought him around for a reason, probably a thousand reasons. 

"Yeah. It is," I mumbled as dad pulled into a parking spot. Instantly my eye locked with Everett who waited at the corner of the parking lot like he normally did. With a smile, I waved to him from the car.

"Just a heads up, Charles is coming back again for practice," dad mentioned carefully as he got out of the car.

My eyes darted to his before looking back at Everett. "Does he know?"

"Told him this morning before we left the house."

I nodded, knowing there wasn't anything else I could say. "Ok." With that, I got out of the car and ran to greet Everett, wrapping my arms around him.

"Hey. Morning," he said with the smell of coffee thick on his breath.

"Morning." I smiled up at him and gave him a kiss. 

"Wasn't sure I would see you today after all the work we did yesterday." 

I shrugged even though the simple motion caused aches to run down my back. I don't think I would ever be prepared for the farm work we did yesterday. However as sore as I was, I wouldn't change it for the world. I even thought about doing it again. Crazy, I know. 

"Your girl is tougher and fitter than you think." 

He smiled. "I can see that." 

"Everett! You never told me your old man liked football," dad said as he walked up to us.

Everett dropped his hands around my waist and gave a nod. "Yeah, he's a fan."

"You should bring him in after practice one of these days. I'll give him a grand old tour."

"That's kind of you. I'll relay the message."

Dad patted him on the back then left without another word towards him. His shoes echoed the floor and as he walked into the Shoe. 

In the silence of the early morning, Everett turned to me. He opened his mouth then closed it as his eyes glanced around us, making sure the coast was clear. "I reached out to my professor who has contact with the school newspaper," Everett said as he picked at his sweater.

"And?"

"I didn't think anything would happen, and it didn't. Of course, the school doesn't want it."

I frowned, knowing this could happen. Why would the school want to run an article that makes them look bad? That is the last thing they want.

"But the Columbus city newspaper contacted me. They want to run the article."