Chapter 25: You Made A Mistake

Look out for the <>!

"Of course you were the one that got a nasty stomach flu that landed you in the hospital for a few days," Vera said with a smile as I talked to her over FaceTime. "I was always in the hospital for broken bones and stitches, and what lands you there? Nothing exciting."

I rolled my eyes at her sense of humor. She always thought my life wasn't exciting since she was always the one pushing the envelope, but she should know that since I joined the team as an intern, my life became suddenly more interesting. "What can I say? I have great luck."

She smiled at me with a nod. "Your hospital hair is doing great, though."

I chuckled as I pat it down, trying to control the greasy mane that I hadn't washed in a few days. "Thanks, it's a new look I'm trying."

"And you wonder why you are single."

That insult was something that got beneath my skin. I was single because I chose to be, nothing else. "Ever asked me to be his girlfriend," I blurted out before I knew what I said. It felt nice to get it off my chest since she was the first person I told.

She beamed at me as if this was the most exciting news she had heard. "Awww Everett? He's such a cutie! Did you say yes? I hope you did."

The memory of the park bench sped around my mind like a car doing donuts, just when I thought of something else, it came right to my mind again. "I said nothing."

"Are you serious? What the hell were you thinking? Do you like him?"

"I think I do."

"Then girl, you made a mistake."

"I know I did," I pouted, but was pretty sure I couldn't make up for it. The lack of words was enough to cause any blooming feelings to wilt and die like forgotten garden flowers. What happened and there was nothing I could do to make up for it.

"Ok, well, it's time for a game plan. You are only halfway through the game. What can you do to fix it?"

There was nothing I could do. The thing was, she was wrong, it was the end of the game, and the final score was on the board, a painful reminder that it was done.

"Nora, don't give me that face," Vera protested, as if it was unacceptable.

"What face is she giving you?" dad asked, breaking us from our moment.

Silently, I turned the camera to dad, so Vera knew we weren't alone any longer. "Hey dad," she said with a smile in her voice.

"Hey Vera," dad said with excitement, as he always did when he saw her online. "So what was this face Nojo was giving you?"

"Nothing."

He looked at me for an answer, however I stayed silent. "Sure, ok. Well, Nora, I am here to take you back home! I'm sure you are more excited than a cow jumping over a fence."

I smiled at him as I tried to imagine a cow jumping a fence, wondering if he had seen something like this before. "That's great news."

He nodded as mom walked in with a smile on her face. She placed clothes in my hands as dad said, "Yup, thought so myself. Now get your clothes together and say goodbye to Vera. You can call her later."

Turning my attention back to Vera, I smiled. "I have to go."

"That's obvious. Anyhow, listen to what I said. Don't regret this. Anyhow, love you, love you too, mom and dad." With that, she ended the call.

"Well get changed! We want to get you out of here ASAP."

A smile came to my face as I got up from the bed to change into my clothes that mom brought.