Chapter 27: Wasn't Expecting

Look out for the <>!

By time the end of the day came around, the encounter I had with Everett was the only thing that consumed my mind. It was rushed and brash. It was as if he wanted to be with me, but something else held his thoughts captive. I never saw him the rest of the day, which made me think that whatever happened forced him to leave.

"Nora, I'll lock up. Why don't you wait for me by the car," dad called out to me snapping me from my thoughts as he gathered his things.

"Sure..." I agree but stopped to face him. "Um, dad, did Everett seem off to you today?"

Dad paused as he thought about it. A frown came to his face as he placed his papers down at the desk. "Why don't you ask him?"

I sighed, not liking the response. "That's not fair."

"You know what's not fair? Going behind his back for answers. Now go talk to him. Any answer from him would be better than mine."

"Fine," I pouted then left the room.

I walked through the halls as I crafted a way to bring it up, however nothing sounded right in my mind. It was either to accusatory, or encroaching. I wanted to know the answers, but I didn't want to push it.

<>

By time I made it to the car, a frown was on my face. I pulled on the car door handle only to find out it was locked. In frustration I sat on the ground beside the car and stared at the ground. I just hoped that dad wouldn't take long locking up.

"You look really beautiful," Everett's voice rang out, snapping me from my thoughts.

I looked up at him, bringing my hand above my eyes to shield them from the sun. After he kissed me in the hall, I thought he left so seeing him here now caught me by surprise. "Thank you."

He sighed as he sat down next to me and stared at the stadium in front of us. "What are you doing?"

"Waiting for dad. What about you?"

"Nothing."

"I hardly saw you today. I thought you went home early."

He shook his head. "No. I just needed to practice alone."

I nodded as I tried one more time to find the right way to bring up my question. Nothing sounded right so I went with the way that popped into my mind first. "What happened earlier today? When you kissed me?"

He scratched his neck as if the memory was something he rather forget. "Sorry if that was a little uncalled for."

"That was my first kiss you know," I said, hoping he wouldn't judge me too harshly.

He rose his eyebrows in shock but remained silent. It was times like this when I wished I knew what he thought.

"I wasn't expecting my first kiss to happen that way."

"I didn't know. I'm sorry."

I'm sure if he knew he wouldn't have done it. But he did, and now it was time to learn from it. I shrugged as I tried to keep the conversation relaxed. "There is a lot that we don't know about each other. We just need to take it one day at a time."

He nodded. "You're second kiss will be more memorable."

I smiled. "I hope you are promising that to me."

He held up his pinky finger. "Pinky promise."

My smile grew as I wrapped my pinky with his.

For a moment we were silent as we watched the sun start to set behind the stadium. Once again, dad would be taking longer than normal to lock up. As a cold breeze rustled the trees, I started to believe that waiting for him outside wasn't the best idea any more, especially if he would take his time coming out.