07

; 𝐢𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞'𝐬 𝐚 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐢'𝐥𝐥 𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐜𝐡 𝐲𝐨𝐮, 𝐢'𝐥𝐥 𝐫𝐮𝐧. 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐝𝐨𝐰𝐧.

"No Mikasa today?"

"No. She's got a headache, so we told her to rest for the day."

Every day had become a monotonous blur; the Scouts would set out from headquarters, help out whoever needed their assistance, and then return home long after nightfall. On one such banal day, the group were saddling up their horses and preparing to set off to their next assigned site when Armin and Eren finally arrived.

"That's good, because we're a couple of horses short," said Jean with a huff, earning a sly snicker from [Name]. "Shut your face, Cordtz."

"I didn't even say anything!"

"Shut it anyway."

Holding in both her joke and her laughter, [Name] suppressed her smile as she finished loading up her horse and turned back to Eren and Armin.

"Who took our horses?" asked the Arlert, watching as Connie and Sasha both mounted their rides and waited for their friends.

"The Military Police ran short, so they came and took some of ours," explained [Name], ruffling her own horse's mane. "So, who wants to share?"

"How about you and Jean?" suggested Connie coyly, earning a glare from the Kirstein and a guffaw from Sasha. [Name] took his words in her stride, turning towards Connie with a finger in the air and ready to vocalise the joke that had been sitting unspoken in her mind for the past fifteen minutes.

"Jean doesn't need a horse because—" 

[Name]'s sentence was cut off short as Jean swiftly withdrew a screwdriver from his backpack and threw it at her face, hitting her right in the middle of her forehead with the handle. 

"OUCH! JEAN, WHAT THE FUCK?!"

Sensing the early awakenings of another brawl, Eren stepped forward and restrained [Name] in his arms before she could lunge at the Kirstein, shaking his head at her. Jean merely scowled at the Cordtz and mounted his own horse, poking out his tongue as she calmed down in Eren's grip.

"Share with Eren," said Jean coolly, picking up his reins. Armin picked up Jean's fallen screwdriver and tossed it back to its owner, before loading up his own things on the final horse.

"I'll take your backpack," he offered, reaching out and taking Eren's backpack from him.

"Alright. You guys go ahead, me and [Name] will follow."

"Sure." Armin jumped onto his horse, getting ready to depart with the other three. "See you then!"

[Name] held up her middle finger in the air as Jean and the others turned their steeds and broke off in a hurried trot, leaving her and Eren standing alone. 

"You won't jump on the horse to chase down Jean, will you?" asked Eren, still holding [Name] against his chest with both of her arms pinned to her back. She sighed.

"No."

"Good. I needed to talk to you."

"Oh? Progress in the plan?" Eren released [Name], beckoning for her to get onto their horse.

"I'll tell you once we're out. You get on front."

"Sure thing, boss man."

Mounting the horse after [Name], Eren firmly wrapped his arms around her waist as he took the reins. His actions caught her by surprise, as it was commonplace for the person sitting at the front of the horse to be in control.