10

; 𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐭𝐫𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐦𝐞?

"... are you sure we can trust him?"

At their following rendezvous after Floch's eavesdropping and sudden declaration about wanting to assist Eren, the Jaeger sat with [Name] underneath the same tree where he had first unintentionally blurted out his vision of the future. After ensuring that everyone else had gone to sleep, they had arranged to meet at this very spot in the dead of night so as to make sure that they would not be followed and meet the same outcome as before.

"Yeah. He's going to be important in rallying supporters for the cause."

With only the shimmering of the night stars as their primary source of light, [Name] and Eren sat shoulder to shoulder at the base of the tree and kept a wary eye on their surroundings.

"There's something I wanna know," asked [Name] casually, laying her head on Eren's shoulder and glancing up at him. "You say that this is all to protect everyone on the island, right? After the rumbling ends, what do you plan on doing? Like, annihilation of everyone else aside... what do you have in mind for after the rumbling? I'm all for the plan, but what comes next?"

Eren sighed, and laid his head against [Name]'s.

"I don't know."

"But then again, this whole thing is all dependent on Mikasa, right?"

Eren bit his tongue at [Name]'s involuntarily sharp words, and looked down at her with a hurt expression.

"... I'm sorry. I'm asking you for all of this support when I'm not even sure if this plan will go through."

[Name] chuckled, and sat up straight. 

The removal of her warmth from Eren's side was slightly disappointing.

"If anything, I really do hope that she confesses so that you don't have to do this. Even if you do have the Founding Titan, I think it's a bit too much responsibility to put on your shoulders."

Eren winced. Her words stung, but he wanted to try at least once more to pry information about her life from her.

"... can I ask you something now?"

"Yeah, go for it."

"Have you spoken to Jean yet?"

Once the topic of her and Jean was brought up, [Name]'s smile faltered just as it had the last time Eren had inquired.

"No," she replied earnestly, drawing her knees up to her chest and shifting away from Eren by a few centimetres. But to him, it felt like she had withdrawn from him completely. "We both agreed that I would set the time to talk within the next six months. I know I'm selfish trying to avoid the subject for as long as possible, but I can't help it."

"Why are you so hesitant to talk to him? Is it something that serious?"

"I personally don't think so, but Jean believes otherwise. I have other things to focus on right now."

"I don't get it."

Eren shuffled over so that he was sitting face-to-face with [Name], and stared into her eyes.

"Get... what?"

"You and Jean. There's more to you two than you're letting on, right?"

Amused by the serious expression on Eren's face, [Name] burst out into laughter.

"Oh, Eren," she cried, wiping a stray tear from her eye. "Ever the imaginative one! How delightful!" However, as soon as her laughter had subsided, her face took on a stoic look and her playful manner was replaced with an icy coldness. "But I was serious. I won't talk to you about it before I talk to Jean. Drop it."