14

; 𝐢𝐭 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐬 𝐦𝐞 𝐜𝐫𝐲.

"Jean? Is [Name] okay?"

As the ironically named "Team Best Friends" took their posts with Eren on the shore the following morning, Eren approached Jean from his tent with a look of concern. Further down the beach, [Name] was putting on a farce of being alert and on duty—but really, her constantly drooping head and loosening posture showed her true fatigue.

"She must not have gotten much sleep last night," frowned Jean, crossing his arms as he stared at the Cordtz. "I thought she was dead asleep, though. Was she awake the whole time?"

"What? Were you stalking her in her tent?"

"Huh?! No!" Jean exclaimed in Eren's face, pointing frantically at [Name] as Eren stared at him with a scowl. "She swapped with Connie last night because Sasha's snoring was keeping her up! I thought she was sound asleep next to me the whole time!"

"Obviously not," replied Eren sarcastically. "Did your snoring keep her up as well?"

"I don't snore!"

"Then why couldn't she sleep?"

A look of guilt briefly flashed across Jean's face, but it did not go unnoticed.

"Jean. What did you two do last night?"

Eren asked the question with a sharp, menacing glare, throwing Jean into alarm.

"What the hell?! Why are you asking me that?!"

As Eren's glare intensified, Jean backed up nervously and threw his arms into the air.

"Nothing! We didn't do anything! Why are you looking at me like that?"

Eren relinquished his cold stare and turned away from Jean, giving him space to breathe.

"All we did was talk," huffed Jean, relaxing a little. "I didn't realise that talking would be enough to keep someone up all night, so I doubt—wait. Why am I even explaining myself to you?!"

"What did you talk about?"

"Nothing you need to know about," replied the Kirstein briskly, brushing off his shirt.

Eren narrowed his eyes.

"Is there something to you and [Name]'s relationship that you've kept hidden from everyone else?"

"What?"

"You and [Name] are hiding something, aren't you?"

Jean groaned and slapped a hand to his forehead, crying out, "For god's sake! If you have any other questions, ask her yourself!"

"I will." Just as quickly as he had approached Jean, Eren had turned on his heel and started making his way towards [Name]. Utterly bemused by the encounter, Jean stood rooted to the spot with his arms half raised in the air out of complete confusion.

He blinked as he came to the conclusion that his previous theory was a very possible reason for Eren's aggressiveness towards him, and decided then and there that he was going to do something about it.

"Oi! Eren!"

Shaking off his uncertainty, Jean bolted towards the Jaeger and leapt in front of him.

"What's your relationship with [Name], huh?" asked Jean assertively, throwing his arms out to prevent Eren from walking past. "Why are you all up in her business like an overprotective boyfriend, huh? Is there something you're hiding about your relationship with [Name]?"

"What? I'm asking because if it's affecting her like this, it must be something important."

"No, no, don't give me that." Jean raised his hands before him, adding, "Be straight with me, Eren. You're only asking me all of this because you want to know more about [Name]'s relationship status, don't you? Or lack thereof? Why are you getting your panties in a twist about what happens to [Name]?"