9| Jealousy, jealousy

~Reece~

I didn't like him. I didn't even know him and I didn't like him. I don't like how he was looking at her and I didn't like how his hands rested on her hips.

We were all standing now. "My gosh," Mrs. Bardot said pressing a hand to her chest. "You scared us Daniel."

I cleared my throat. 'Daniel' looked to me. "Oh hi." he said. He left Alina standing there and walked over to shake my hand. "Nice to meet you man."

Alina came to stand beside me and I grabbed her hand. "Danny, this is my boyfriend Reece." Her calling him, "Danny" got my blood churning. She squeezed my hand and I squeezed it back.

"We'll we should eat now that everybody's here." Mrs. Bardot said leading us into a dining room.

I pulled a chair out for Alina and she sat, thanking me. Daniel pulled out the seat beside her and I sat down.

"Thanks man. You didn't have to do that." I said scooting my chair up. Daniel frowned obviously pissed off and walked around to the other side of the table, across from Alina.

I looked over at Alina who was trying to hold back a laugh.

"So Reece," Mr. Bardot said. "Alina tells me you play hockey?" he says sipping from his wine glass.

"He's the captain." Alina says leaning against my arm. I liked her touching me. "He's amazing." she smiled.

"Yes sir. I'm the captain but I'm sure you know the captain isn't anything without his teammates." I said.

"That's right." Mr. Bardot smiled. "I like this one." he whispered to Alina.

Mrs. Bardot started laughing. "Oh my goodness. I just remembered this one time Susan and I caught Danny and Alina up on the roof kissing." she continued to laugh. "Do you remember that Daniel?"

"Oh yes," Daniel said. "We we're so crazy back then," he laughed.

"Yeah," she smiled. She was uncomfortable, I could feel it radiating off her in waves. "Mom," she said quietly. "Can I talk to you for a second?" Before she answered Alina was already up, and walking outside.

"I'm so sorry about her." Mrs. Bardot said dropping her napkin and following her daughter.

~Alina~

I was fuming. Why hadn't I realized what she was doing? God, she really is the devil incarnate.

My mother stepped outside shutting the door behind her. "Alina!" she whispered-yelled. "What is the matter with you?"

"No, what is the matter with you? You want me to invite a boyfriend and then you invite Danny?"

"I invited him before you told me about your little friend in there." she said the word 'friend' like it was laced with poison.

"Boyfriend," I corrected.

"Call him what you like but he will never be your 'boyfriend'."

"What?" I said scoffing.

"I haven't seen you kiss once..."

"Oh I'm sorry we've only been here 10 minutes. I didn't realize you wanted us to go at it on the dining room table." I rolled my eyes.

"I will not deal with your attitude right now. So get your but back in there and be a civil adult like the rest of us." she said straightening her blouse.

"Or what?"

"Excuse me?"

"What happens if I don't?"

"I'll cut you off. Credit cards. Car. Housing. School. Everything." she threatened. "So get back in there and be nice to Danny. Make conversation. Be polite. And for the love of God talk to Danny. He still loves you, you know." my mother pushed the door open and led me back inside.

I sat back down beside Reece and smiled the most fucking fake smile I could muster. Reece gave me a look but I just smiled.

Food had been served while we were gone and I picked up my fork and stabbed the little square of meat and popped it into my mouth. It was delicious but it was the only thing on the plate.

Every course was served at 10 minutes intervals. All of them smaller than the last.

By the time we were back in the lounge for drinks I could see the strain of Reece's face. "I think we should get going." I said standing up. Reece popped up beside me and grabbed my hand again.

"I had... such a lovely time." he said.

On the way out my father stopped me. "Can I talk to you for a second?" he asked. I handed the keys to Reece.

"Start the car up would you?" he smiled and walked outside.

I followed my father into his office. He sat down behind his desk and shuffled through papers.

"Dad I really have to go..." he pulled out a check and handed it to me.

"I was going to give this to you for your birthday but..." I looked down at the check and gaped in awe.

"Oh my god." I said.

"You're school is payed by me, along with your car, housing, and credit cards. That check is all the money from competitions you have won in the last few years. All pulled together in a separate bank account from your mothers prying knowledge."

"Dad, I can't take this." I whispered.

"I'm legally obligated to give it to you. I was supposed to give it to you at your 21 birthday but there was a mix up at the bank. You could spend it on whatever you would like." I walked around the desk and hugged him.

"You're the best." I said. I kissed his cheek.

"The only thing you have to promise me is that you don't tell your mother about this." I laughed and hugged him tighter.

"I love you dad."

"I love you too peach."