21| Phone Call

~Reece~

A month went by. She didn't text me. After our little run-in in the alley she didn't avoid me, but she didn't talk to me either.

A part of me was hoping she tear down this stupid wall she's put between us. But if she's good at anything it's building walls between people.

I stepped out of my truck and toward the arena. My phone rang in my pocket and I picked it up.

"Honey!" my mom squealed.

"Mom? Is something wrong?" I stopped for a moment, worried.

"No!" she squealed again. I pushed the glass doors open and walked towards the locker rooms.

"Mom you're going to have to come back down to a normal pitch. Only dogs can hear you now."

"I'm sorry, sorry." she clears her throat. "We were sent an anonymous note and $40,000..." she made a shrill-screaming noise and I pulled the phone away from my ear.

"But it's a legitimate. We thought it was a joke but we opened our bank account and boom! $40,000 just sitting there waiting for us." she sounded as if she wanted to cry or had been crying.

"Please tell me this isn't a joke." I say.

"It feels like it doesn't it." she laughs.

We talk for a few more minutes but practice is about to start so I hang up with her and walk into the locker room but that's when it hits me. I drop my bag and sprint through the arena.

"Where are you going?" Tucker calls after me.

"Gotta go!" I yell bursting through the glass doors. I run to my truck and fumble with the keys.

Finally I get in and don't either bother with a seatbelt. I floor it all the way to Alina's apartment.

Time feels as if it slows but my speedometer says I'm going 90 mph in 55. But I make it to her dorm and pound on the door.

"Oh my god! Oh my god I'm coming!" someone calls from inside. Hali opened the door. "Reece what the-" I breeze past her and straight for Alinas room. I open the door without knocking and no ones inside.

I turn back to Hali seeing if I missed her while I was in a rush but she's not here. "Where's Alina?" I say breathless.

"She's not here."

"Well where is she?" I say walking over to Hali.

"Her parents had some gala, party thing tonight. She got picked up half an hour ago?"

"Picked up?" I repeat.

"Yeah... by Danny."

I'm so stupid. So stupid. So stupid. SO very fucking stupid.

I have to talk to her and I can't. She could be out all night. Or she may not even come home...

No.

I'll just have to crash that stupid party.

~Alina~

The whole day has been so goddamn awful. My "chauffeur" that was sent to pick me up for my parents party is none other than Danny himself. Which I later find out that we have to pretend to be dating for my parents friends.

Haven't I done enough fake dating?

And this morning I wake up to a knock at my door. 2 hair stylists and a makeup artist are there to primp me for the stupid ass party.

I didn't even want to go but the only good part is the dress. Beautiful and silky. Spaghetti straps. Droopy neck line. Fire red. Floor length. Slit up the thigh.