Story 11 cemetary

The following story/stories have been either submitted by one of my readers or found on other websites.

..........

This is a real incident that occurred some 41 years back. I was about 17 years old back then. It was a small town with a population of less than 10,000 people. We used to play hide and seek during night time. We could hide anywhere in the town, which was about 1 km long.

 We could hide anywhere in the town, which was about 1 km long

One particular night, one boy from our team did not join us. We went to his house to enquire. He appeared to be quite frightened, yet he came with us. He informed us that just half an hour back he had sighted a ghost!

It so happened that he was returning from the district headquarter by a public transport bus. Being the last bus, supposed to arrive in our town at about 8:30 PM, there were only 4-5 passengers in the bus. When the bus was just about a kilometre away from the town, it had to stop as the narrow road was blocked due to a bullock cart having overturned on the road.

This was an age when there was hardly any traffic on the roads. I’m talking of 1977. In the whole town, there were not more than 5-6 scooters and not even a single car (even Maruti was yet to begin its production in India). Most of the people were used to bicycles for short to medium distances.

As there was no way the bus could move forward due to the blocked road for next one or two hours, all the passengers got down and started walking towards the town which was only about a kilometre away.

Just near the place where the bus had stopped, there was a cremation ground. It was near this cremation ground that this boy apparently saw a ghost, whose bones were shining, with no flesh or body and no clothes on. This boy got so frightened that he immediately ran away from there and stopped only when he arrived in his home.

 This boy got so frightened that he immediately ran away from there and stopped only when he arrived in his home

I had become an atheist at the age of 13 years and had slowly developed scientific temperament. So, I did not believe in ghosts or any other supernatural powers. After listening to the story, I challenged him saying that there are no ghosts in the real life, and that he might have seen something else, or there might have been some illusion.