Chapter#14

Sandal's POV:

I stop myself from yawning again as I step out of the bus. I raised my head and look at this tall glass building.

Few more months and it soon will be over...

There is still time in Ami's Iddat to end and I am sure she will insist on going back. Back to our home. Back to Peshawar. But I am not sure if any of us is ready to face it. To live in a house where you find belongings of Papa, Shoaib, and Palwasha on every second step... We are not ready yet. Not right now.

I put a hand on my mouth to stop yawning and step inside the building. I thought I would be relaxed after talking to Sir and could sleep. But my thoughts didn't allow me, so I spent half of my night counting the things that have to be done before Areeba starts college. Once she has, I'll be the one looking after Ami. It's still risky to leave her alone when we know she will cry all day remembering everyone.

I sighed and pressed the elevator button. The best thing about working as a personal assistant is that you get special treatment. For example, I can use things that are specially reserved for Sir, like this elevator. Feeling lucky, I get inside and start fighting my urge to sleep. When it stops, I slowly went out and walked to my office. Opening the door, I put my bag on the table and sat on my chair. I sighed, looking at my desk before turning on my computer.

I wish there was a bed instead of this stupid desk...

I grab the first file Ali gave me yesterday and start typing. It was his work yesterday. But now it's mine. All this work related to different sorts of graphs and diagrams, along with their descriptions are harder than the work I usually do. Speaking of Ali, I haven't seen him today. Normally we would reach the office at the same time. Is he late? Or is he taking the day off, relaxing somewhere, leaving all these burdens on me...... I shrugged and focus back on work.

About an hour later, I got up from my seat and start pacing in the office. If I sit for one more minute, I really might fall asleep. I was already feeling sleepy and this boring work has made it worse.

"I thought I told you not to wear sneakers." I got startled and turned around, only to find Sir standing at the door.

"Sir?" My eyes widened.

"Why are you so surprised, Sandal?" He asked me calmly.

"Eh? Surprised? ...not at all, Sir. I am just surprised... Ahh! I mean. When did you come back?" I babbled like an idiot.

"Yesterday night." He said with a smirk. His eyes landed on my sneakers and came back to my face questioningly. The smirk on his face was gone. I gulped.

"So my personal assistant was breaking the rules behind my back." He stated as he walks to me. I stood my ground, ready to hear a huge lecture, any punishment and maybe some insulting words.

But he didn't say any of the things I thought he would.

"Take off your sneakers!" He ordered.

"Huh?"

"I said take off your sneakers...and then... bring me a cup of coffee." He said slowly, lowering his head to me.

"What?" I took a step back.

"You heard me. Take it off." He said, referring to my feet.

"You want me to walk barefooted?"

"Yes! Now hurry up."

"But Sir...." I tried to argue, but he cuts me.

"No 'buts, Sandal." He said in a definite tone.