Chapter 27

Happy Monday!

— — — — —

Syble (Magnolia)

The party is in full swing by the time we arrive. There's a huge canopy tent set up with a full bar on either end and standing tables in the middle. Wait staff roam around with plates of hors d'oeuvres and champagne. There's an enormous round table in the middle of the tent with more appetizers and finger foods. There are people everywhere, in the gardens, in the tent, around and inside the house.

I clutch onto Ro's arm, "how many people did your mother invite?"

He laughs, "she invited the heads of two allied packs and their unmated members."

I go to ask him what he meant by unmated but someone approaches and interrupts us. "Rohanor, good seeing you again old friend." Ro shakes his friend's hand while keeping his other arm firmly wrapped around my waist.

"Good to see you too, Alec. How is Alpha life treating you?"

Alec looks at me hungrily and smirks, "not as well as it's been treating you." He says addressing Ro but looking at me. This man clearly has a death wish. I may be in a dress but I could still kick his ass.

Ro snarls softly as Alec reaches for my hand and kisses the back of it. "Why is the most beautiful woman in the room hanging out with an ugly brute like him?" He asks me but I know he's trying to provoke Ro, and it's working.

"Not enough tail in your own pack, Alec?" Varian's voice says from behind me and I try to hide my smile.

"Just trying to save this fair maiden from being burned by either of you."

Ro spits out his drink laughing. Varian grins wickedly, "trust me, Alec, she's too hot for you."

Varian pats him on the shoulder before taking me by the hand and whisking me away.

"Sorry about that, he's an old friend whose mission in life is to irritate us into flames. He thinks it's funny to watch us lose control."

"Does that happen to you a lot? Losing control?"

"Not as of late," he says cryptically and smiles at me, almost adoringly.

He takes two champagne flutes from a server's tray and hands one to me. I scan the room whilst sipping my drink. Kat has taken to dragging Incandis around with her, but he doesn't seem to mind terribly. I remember her telling me about a guy she had a thing for, I wonder where he is and if she's using Incandis to make the poor guy jealous.

I continue scanning around when my eyes catch Ro talking to Alec and Serena, the she-wolf I burned last night in their office. An unexpected feeling hits me square in the chest as I watch them together. This shouldn't bother me, it's not like either of us have laid claim to the other. I don't understand these feelings of insecurity over someone who isn't mine, I've never felt like this before over someone but with the twins... everything and nothing makes sense.

Varian lifts my chin up forcing me to look at him. He's frowning and there's a little v forming in the center of his furrowed brows. "What's wrong?" He asks me.

How does he know? Can he read my mind? "What makes you think something's wrong?" I ask him.

He thinks for a moment before he responds. "I could feel you tense up," he says as he runs his fingertips from my shoulders down to my hands, taking them both in his.

I nod once in Ro's direction where he is still talking with Alec and Serena. "I guess she is more a plaything than a parasite after all." I say venomously. Why am I this upset? I have no reason or right, but it pains me all the same.