Chapter 40

Happy Monday

Spoiler alert: they finally leave their room 😂

— — — — —

Magnolia (Syble)

I can't wipe this stupid damn grin off my face. Even though everything is so completely fucked with my dad and uncle still missing, the usual rage that simmers below the surface relaxes when I'm near the twins, my mates.

After getting dressed, I head down to the kitchen hand in hand with the twins. The palace staff all bow as we pass one another, the women stop to eye the twins a fraction too long. I tug them along and they chuckle.

"I like this possessive side of you, princess." Ro purrs.

"I'm not being possessive," I argue but we all know it's a lie.

As we get closer to the kitchen I pick up on their anger. At first I thought it was directed at me but turning the corner I'm faced with the source.

"Luna, at last! How are you, my child?" Accalia swoops around the kitchen island, arms wide ready for an embrace.

"Mom, what are you doing here?" Varian asks his mother as she wraps her arms around me. When she pulls back she holds me away at arm's length and begins inspecting my neck which causes a red flush to tint my face.

"I sent for her early this morning." This voice belongs to none other than my mother who just strolled into the kitchen from the other side of the room.

I shoot a glare at Incandis for not warning me, but he just shrugs his shoulders telling me he didn't know of it either.

"Luna!" Kat abandons her breakfast plate and runs into me, throwing her arms around my neck. "Finally! I'm so happy it's you!"

I catch Incandis staring at us with the dumbest grin on his face, what the fuck has come over everyone this morning?

"Okay, weirdo?" I try to deflect and disentangle myself from Kat.

Ro clears his throat, and shifts his eyes from mine to my mother and back again, a subtle hint for me to introduce them.

"Oh! Right! Uhm, mom, this is Rohanor and Varian." I begin, pressing my hand to each of their chests as I introduce them. "They're the Alphas of Shadowmoon, they've been helping us on our mission. Guys, this is my mom, Queen Ianthe."

My mom looks at them impassively, giving away nothing of what she's thinking. I've never brought a guy home to meet the parents — and I've got two guys — so this phase of the relationship is completely foreign to me

Without breaking eye contact with the twins she addresses their mom. "Accalia? I think we'll be needing to add a wedding to the coronation, it would appear that my daughter marked your sons with her sigil – the sigil of the Queen." She says tapping on her neck where Ro and Varian bear my mark, my sigil. Her once neutral face splits into a rare, but warm, smile.

Kat begins jumping up and down clapping her hands like a giddy fledgling, Accalia smiles at us just as warmly as my mom, Incandis looks like he's going to kill the twins but something is holding him back, and Xander is completely unphased by any of this, stuffing his face full of bacon and eggs as if the room isn't spinning.

"Good morning, my young Queen." Xander beams at me with casual arrogance. "How is the most beautiful woman in the grove doing today? Sleep well?" He winks at me as his face splits into a cheshire grin.

Well, he was right about one thing last night...it doesn't take much to set off the twins. Ro and Varian begin snarling at Xander who just grins victoriously.