Chapter 30

Happy Monday!

Obligatory disclaimer: This chapter contains some violence

Some readers may find the descriptions gory.

Happy Reading!

— — — — —

Syble (Magnolia)

Three more masses drop from the ceiling onto the floor. There are now the figures of five men standing across the room from us. Incandis stands next to me as Kat tries to rally the injured guards.

The men make the first move, a fireball comes whizzing through the cave at our heads.

Dragons.

I catch the fireball in my hands and throw it back at them. Now both sides know that flames will not win this fight.

The five men rush at us, weapons drawn. Incandis and I stick together, back to back, defending against the attackers.

I throw my glaive around one of the pillars, it boomerangs back around decapitating one of the attackers.

The other four pair off, two heading towards Incandis and two running towards me.

Incandis quickly snaps the neck of one of his attackers before punching his fist into the chest of the other and ripping his heart out with his bare hands.

As soon as their bodies hit the floor five more men drop down in front of us. Incandis puts himself between the five men and me while I deal with the two men who came after me.

I get one of my attackers into a choke hold and use the glaive in my other hand to slice open his torso with the jagged inner edge of my blade, effectively turning his inner organs into outer organs.

His partner takes in the sight of his mangled body and attempts to flee from my wrath. Fucking coward. I throw my glaive at the stalactites on the ceiling knocking a few loose. He's caught off guard when one of rocky spears lands behind him and he trips and stumbles forward onto the ground where another falling shard impales him through his back. I should leave him to die a slow painful death but it's not just me in this cave. Incandis, Kat, and the two wolf guards are all at risk.

I snap the neck of the coward on the ground, mercifully putting him out of his misery. I look back around to find Kat and Incandis. Kat has managed to get the two guards up and over to the entrance we came from. Incandis is a few yards in front of me in the middle of the room masterfully holding off four guys.

There were five before, I'm sure of it. I look around to see where the fifth one went but the bodies aren't adding up. He's still alive and he's around here somewhere. I take a step towards Incandis looking around me on high alert when the fifth attacker steps out of the shadows directly in front of me. I reach for his throat but I'm too late. He grins maliciously as he plunges a dagger into my chest.

I stumble backwards clutching the handle of the blade in shaky hands. The gravity of the situation is just now hitting me. These men were here waiting for us, in this cave. The same cave that the wolves led us to, the side of the cave the twins told my group to head towards, fighting, outnumbered, against my own kind while the wolves sit safely in a corner untouched. A seed of an idea begins to grow in my mind, inflaming me immediately. We've been set up, ambushed by people who I thought I could trust, who I thought I could love...and we're losing.