3 |

Chapter Three | 'Doctor who?'
> 10:48 - 15:52

—MARCUS SIGHED WHILE STARING AT THE MIRROR. Marks from the "fight" were still showing use less than before. Staring at him was his own reflection, obviously, that's what happens when you look into a mirror. He looked a mess. Looking down at the sink, the rock from before sat there. Staring at him. Picking it up, Marcus decided to walk back into his room.

"Now, what do I do with you? You're useless to me but important to my mother." He twirled the rock between his fingers, coldness lingered on them. "Good luck charm, I guess?" He stared down at the broken rock before shaking his head and placing it on his desk then sitting on his chair.

Beside him was the leather briefcase, nothing important, yet seemed it. Something was wrong with it. Having no clue what it was, Marcus left it alone. It sat leaning against the table leg while Marcus loaded onto his computer, a photo of him standing next to Michelle June in the Debate Team popping up on the screen. The boy smiled slightly before accidentally kicking over the briefcase making a sound of an object falling catch the boy's attention.

"Hm?" He picked up the briefcase, sitting it on his lap, looking through every pocket. Nothing. Must've been his imagination. But when he went to put the briefcase on the floor, it slipped from his hand making it fall to the floor. It wasn't just the briefcase but it was another part of the broken rock. Stupid. Another broken rock.

Something else caught the boy's eye though, it wasn't another rock, but it was a folder. A folder. It looked like the folder that Peter's father stuffed inside his very own briefcase when they went to Aunt May's house. Strange. Looking down at the folder, Marcus started to flip through it. "What is this? 'Zero, zero, decay rate algorithm.' I wish I understood this-" His reading came to a stop when a knock rang through the room.

"Uh, one sec." The boy shouted to the person on the other side of the door while hurriedly stuffing the folder back inside the briefcase and putting it underneath his desk. Looking around, he made sure nothing to do with the folder was out while placing the rock inside his pocket. "Come in."

Uncle Daniel appeared inside the room, his left hand on the door handle. He looked down at the boy who sat at his computer, staring at the screen with a weird face. "You good, bud? Oh, my god. You even do the same face, you remind me so much of her. Can I come in?" Marcus nodded as Daniel entered his room, picking up a random ball, and sat on the bed,

"Listen, um... I don't have much education. You know that, Marcus. Hell, I stopped being able to help with your homework when you were 10. Wish I paid more attention in school now. Look, what I'm trying to say is, erm... I know it's been rough for you without your mom, or a dad. We don't talk much about them." Marcus shrugged while Daniel talked.

"It's okay-" "No, it is not okay. I wish I could change it, but I can't. I can't help with the random person, but I the other man. The scientist. Curt Conners. He, your mom, and Peter's Dad all worked together for years, best of friends. But after that night, we never saw him again. Never called. Not once." Marcus nodded along with the adult's words, the man who sat on the boy's bed stared down at his hands. He looked up. "She's pretty."

"I guess." Marcus nodded with a small smile. Daniel stood up, walking towards the door before Marcus stopped him. "Uncle Daniel." "What?" "You're a pretty great dad, okay? I don't care if I never knew my biological one, I'm guessing he was a pretty s-... bad one."

Daniel laughed before walking out the door. As soon as he did, Marcus began typing away at the computer. Searching "Richard Parker, Scarlet Allen, and Curt Conners" up on the internet. Things like "Scarlet Allen, Richard Parker and Curt Conners in the news" "Scientists at Oscorp Announce Impending Breakthrough." The last was the one Marcus clicked on.

'CROSS-SPECIES GENETICS
Science Fiction or Science Fact?'

A photo of the three scientists appearing. Marcus's fingers began hurting when images of crashes, plane crashes, and the news report on his mother and Peter's parents killing. Ignoring those photos, he continued to type. "Dr. Curt Conners." Clicking in and out of the website after website before finding one that seemed... better in some way. "Dr. Curt Conners "A World Without Weakness" Oscorp Articles..." He read and he read when suddenly he found some way to find Dr. Curt Conners.

—————

The black-haired boy looked up at the tall building, his backpack hanging off one shoulder. This is where Dr. Curt Conners was, directly inside that building. Entering inside was easy, it was just getting to see Curt Conners that was the difficult part. "Excuse me." A woman's voice interrupted his thoughts. "Can I help you?"

"Oh, uh... I don't know, I'm here to see Dr. Conners." The woman nodded as Marcus leaned against the desk with a confused and straight face.

"Right. You'll find yourself to the left, sir." He looked at her with confusion before she turned to look at him with the same face. "You are here for the internship?" Marcus nodded to her statement before she nodded. "Okay. You'll find your badge to the left." Oh! The boy looked to his left, spotting all the badges. "Are you having trouble finding yourself?"

"Nope." He looked down before grabbing a random badge. I guess he was 'Stephen Richards' today. "Yeah, I got it." He looked at her with a straight smile.

"Okay, Mr. Richards." She smiled at the boy before rolling her eyes as he walked away and up to where the internship was. "Weirdo."

'Welcome to Oscorp.' The recording of a woman's voice echoed through the whole building as Marcus went slowly up the escalator. 'Born from the mind of our founder Norman Osborn, the Oscorp Tower houses 108 floors of innovation. Our scientific minds are pushing the boundaries of defense, biomedical and chemical technologies. The future lies within."

"Welcome to Oscorp. My name's Gwen Stacy and this is Michelle June." Gwen stood at the front of the group beside Michelle. Marcus stood wide eyes before hiding behind somebody. "We're seniors at Midtown Science and also head interns to Dr. Conners. We'll be with you for the duration of your visit." Marcus looked around as she continued to talk before catching the staring, shocked eyes of a boy he knew very well.

———————