10 |

Chapter Ten | 'Love you, son'
> 46:13 - 48:46

AUNT JANET WAS IN TEARS. They had all arrived at Aunt May's house, Marcus sat on the couch with his head in his hands while Peter stood at the door, the police spoke to the two women who had tears in their eyes. "Witnesses gave descriptions to the sketch artist. I need you to take a look." The police officer showed both women drawings of the people who had killed their husbands.

"No, we don't know them." Both women shook their heads. Janet wrapped one arm around May, taking her into a side hug as they looked at the drawings. If only Marcus hadn't stolen the car, if only Peter hadn't went to Oscorp. If they didn't do either of those things, their uncles would still be here. They'd still be walking around, helping them with what ever had happened with that spider bite.

"I didn't expect either of you would." The police man who sat next to the adults, looked at both women. "Homicide detectives are on it. We'll see what they turn up." Aunt Janet nodded, it being able to get a word out of her mouth. Aunt May just said a small "okay". Marcus stood up, walking over to his crying Aunt, placing a hand on her shoulder.

"Uh, can I- Can I have those?" Peter asked the officer, pointing to the drawings of the people who killed their uncles.

"Sure. There's one other thing. They each have a star tattooed on their left hands." Peter stared down at the two drawings he held in his hands. He wanted something. To do something. Peter looked up at his Aunt who cried her eyes out next to Janet. They sobbed and sobbed but who could blame them, their husbands were just killed. But Peter was going to do something to get even, Marcus knew this, but did Peter?

—————

Marcus sat inside the bathroom inside Peter's room, sitting on the cold floor. He stared at his hands with his cellphone in one, the rock in the other. First it was his father, that he never met, then his mother now it was Uncle Daniel, his only proper father figure. He opened his phone, going to his voicemails seeing one from Uncle Daniel. He held it close to his ear.

"Kiddo, I know things have been tough lately or in the past and I'm sorry about that. I think I now how you're feeling. I love you, son."

He took the phone off his ear, holding it close to his chest. He hoped it was all a dream, a nightmare. He hoped Uncle Daniel would appear, his arms open, ready for a hug that would never break. But that would never happen. He was gone, forever.

——

Everybody watched, I mean, everyone watched as the teenager walked through the crowd of people, Peter following behind. Muffled voices slowly entering their ear but exiting much quicker. People glanced over at the two as Marcus put stuff inside his locker, Peter standing next to him.

"Hey, Parker, Allen." Flash came up to the two, his hands in his grey hoodie pocket.

"Not today, Flash." Peter looked down at the floor as he spoke, ignoring Flash as Marcus continued to look through his locker.

"Hey, come on, man I just want to talk." He placed a hand on Peter's shoulder only to have Flash crashed against the locker, being held up by Peter's hands. Marcus glanced over, watching Peter's face go stone cold before closing his locker. "It feels better, right? Look both of your Uncles died. I'm sorry. I get it. I'm sorry." Flash was lowered to the ground as Peter grabbed his bag and Marcus's wrist, taking them along the hallway.

"Peter..." Gwen voice echoed before she hugged Peter. He didn't hug back but he let go of Marcus's wrist. Peter didn't respond to Gwen, he only walked off with Marcus by his side. Today was gonna be a sh-... bad day.

——

Marcus sat in the hallway, ignoring all the looks he got from walking by students. He just sat there in front of his locker, fiddling with the rock his mother had left behind. A person appeared next to him. "Marcus..." Michelle placed a hand on Marcus's shoulder. Marcus nodded, looking towards her slowly. "I know you've probably had the worst day of your life but could you help me with the mathematics test coming up?"

Marcus blinked at her before nodding slowly. She sighed of relief. "Okay, thank you! So, I'm really stuck with the..." Her voice cut off in Marcus's ears as he looked up and saw Peter at his locker. He wasn't doing good. Marcus nodded along with everything Michelle said before standing up and walking towards the boy.

They didn't speak they only stood together in some sort of comforting silence. An arm grabbed Marcus's shoulder, he looked to his left to see a confused Michelle Jones. "I thought you were helping me? You just said you would." She furrowed her eyebrows at him only to her a scoff coming form behind him before the two boys walked off. "Rude."

———