8 |

Chapter Eight | 'Getting Even?'
> 35:00 - 37:30

"THEY'RE NOT GONNA MAKE US PAY FOR THE BACKBOARD." Peter walked beside his uncle. He had just talked to the principal about the whole... basketball incident. You know, breaking the whole hoop? Yeah, you get it. "I don't care about the backboard. Was that true?" Uncle Ben asked Peter as they slowed down.

"What?" Peter asked looking at his Uncle, not noticing Marcus and Gwen walking through the hallway, side by side.

"What I heard in there just now. Did you humiliate that boy?" He asked Peter as he looked up at him. The boy had his hands in his pockets, the same with Uncle Ben. Marcus slowed down, not noticing his best friend and his uncle ahead of them.

"Yeah, I did. But... this guy, this guy deserved it." "Did he? Is he the kid that hit Marcus?" Peter didn't answer the question he only slowly started to nod while looking around. "Is he?" Peter nodded while answering. "So all this is about getting even, he beat up your best friend, so you humiliate him? If so, I guess you must feel pretty good about yourself now, right? Am I right or wrong? Yeah, I thought so."

"I couldn't help myself, I had to... you know? He, he beat up Marcus. I mean, he beat up Marcus, Marcus." Uncle Ben nodded while looking at Peter.

"I know he's your best friend, but that's not your job to get even with him. Thanks to this little escapade of yours, I had to change shifts at work, so you have to pick up Aunt May tonight at 9:00. Understood? Is that understood?" Peter nodded.

"-Gwen." Marcus laughed while talking with Gwen who stopped to watch Peter. "She looks familiar." Peter turned around to see Gwen standing next to Marcus who's smiled at him. "She's the girl on your computer, yeah. He's got you on his computer. I'm his probation officer. Don't forget Aunt May. Bye, Marcus!"

"Bye, Uncle Ben!" Marcus laughed as he waved to his best friend's Uncle. Peter laughed as his uncle walked away before turning to Gwen. "He's a character. That's my Uncle. He's a pathological liar, thought you were someone else." Peter glanced at the boy who looked around the place.

"Oh, man, you don't have me on your computer?" Gwen pretended to be sad while Marcus went back and forward on his shoes. Marcus whistled as he pointed to his locker saying to Gwen he'd be over there. The two boys smiled at each other before Marcus went over and leaned against a locker.

"I took a photo of the debate team and you and Marcus are in the debate team. So he must have seen- Um, I- because I was touching up stuff." Marcus snorted as he could still hear the conversation, covering it with a cough as the two looked at him.

"You were touching up stuff?" Gwen laughed as Peter did too, his smile getting wider, Marcus watched while his smile went down but didn't vanish. "I was, I was... I'm not going to answer that." He was happy, that made Marcus happy, but what was bothering him. He looked around until a question, more like a crazy amount of 'um's and 'uh's, made him go shocked.

"Um, so, uh, you want to, uh, I don't know...? Um... I don't know. Just, uh... I don't know, we could— I don't know, we could, uh... or we could do something else, or we could... if you don't feel like—" Marcus looked between the blond and the brunette waiting for the answer.

"Yeah. Yeah, either one."

"Really?" Peter smiled at the blond. "Okay. All right, good. Sounds good." Marcus nodded before deciding to leave, not wanting to "ruin their moment". He scoffed as he did so, not at them, but at himself for why he was acting like this. It wasn't until a voice shouted his name that made him speed up and grab his skateboard, that he almost knew what it was.

———————

"Hey, you're home early." Aunt Janet's voice shouted through the house, you could almost hear the smile in her voice. It almost made Marcus smile. She appeared from the kitchen covered in flour. "I was making a cake but the ingredients seem to... dislike me. Hey, why the long face?" She crossed her arms looking at her nephew. He shook his head.

"Nothing, nothing. I promise it's nothing." He waved her off while playing with the strings of his hoodie before looking up at her. "How do the ingredients not like you? Everybody likes you, even my history teacher. I think he was born when Henry VIII was and somehow survived all those years. Disgusting." Marcus walked towards his Aunt while peering inside the kitchen. "Okay, it is a mess in here. How about I help?"

"That would be so helpful. I can't bake anything, you learned from your mother. You should know how to bake like the back of your hand." She patted his back forgetting flour was all over her. "Oh." "What?" "Oh, nothing, nothing."

——————