Chapter 15 : The Houses of Protectors

The royal palace, in the heart of Gentem' s lands, was elegantly beautiful. It stood in the center of the capital city and was the size of a village in itself. A village of white stones, whose towers were topped with tiles covered with gold.

The largest of them was in the center of the palace, but also in the center of the capital... And of the kingdom.

This was the Tower of the Magus.

The residence of Eleazar.

But for the time being, it was not him that the Duke and Duchess of Clypeus would see.

Hand in hand, the newlywed couple took a stroll through the lush gardens of the royal palace, waiting for the ruler of the kingdom to be presentable. They had not announced themselves before requesting this meeting, so they had some time to kill before going.

Dressed in a long silver dress enhanced by a thick purple belt, Flavia had managed to put on one of her veils. That had been worth to her a beginning of argument with Lev, who had finally given in. She did not know why he hated at this point her veils, but she, she felt more comfortable thus.

Especially here, where all the nobles they passed looked at them with a bad curiosity, while coming to present their greetings to the Duke. While ignoring him to discuss with him. Well, discuss...

-Who said I wanted to talk to you? shouted Lev, when a third count came up to him. I'm walking with my wife, not with you.

On which he planted them there, dragging Flavia with him. She understood why he had the reputation of being a brat. How could he talk like that to all those nobles? Well... His position put him far above everyone else. Only the King had authority over him. And yet... Oktar loved Lev.

-I think all these women are betting on how long it will take you to ask for a divorce, Flavia huffed as they passed a group of gossipy women sitting on a bench.

The gardens were large, yet the low cut of the bushes made it possible to see from one end to the other. Only a few perfectly trimmed trees sometimes offered shelter from curious eyes. According to Lev, this made it possible to fix assassins from a distance, no matter how big the target. A child, for example.

-If you want, we can go have sex behind a hedge, just to disrupt their bets, he said with a big smile.

She looked at him with big eyes, from under her veil. Her reaction made him blush too, before a roguish smile spread on his features.

-A fantasy, my little wife?

-I... Shut up.

-Why? he cooed while leaning to his ear. I am to be able to find a grove where I could slip under your dress and you...

-Bad idea, said a male voice behind them. I tried, and I got caught right away.

Red as a tomato, Flavia discovered Eleazar, adorned with his mocking air. His white hair shone with health in the sunlight, while his blue eyes watched them with amusement. Dressed in a simple shirt and tight-fitting pants, he betrayed his position as Magus only by the stole that covered one of his shoulders.

-I'm not surprised at you, said Lev. Who did you fuck in these gardens?

-I don't know, the Magician admitted after some thought. It was dark and I was drunk. Anyway, the King is ready to receive you. Come, so I can get back to work.